• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A1 vs M939A2

sandcobra164

Aside from the better stock torque number's and CTIS (which is mostly disabled on the trucks that have it), is the turbocharged 8.3 much of a reason to go with an A2. I ask because I've got a chance to get 1 but not both. I've been doing some reading and I'm pretty sure if I turbo the NHC-250, it should be able to clear the hood and make better power. Both variants have 14's and look pretty dang good. Is any set up more reliable. I towed a truck with a M936A2 this past weekend and that may be the way to go but I somehow feel that adding a turbo and turning the fuel up on a M936A1 might make for a stronger pulling truck. Thoughts? Fuel mileage is not a strong concern of mine, they all drink too dang much to include my Deuce but I can deal with it.

cornrichard

As a previous owner of an m817 and a current owner of 915a1s I know that there is a lot of unused potential in the cummins 855 cube motor. I thought the ntc 250 was a dog. I have a farm tractor that has a cummins this is the same as the 8.3. It is a very compact and easy to maintain engine. If you swapped in a later model big cam engine you would end up with a real beast, but I think the 8.3 would work real well and not require any mods. Unless you have some real hot rodding planned I would vote 8.3. I have never driven one with an automatic, but the benefits of a more recently manufactured motor with better parts availability need to be kept in mind.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I've tried this one out and it's a real option and it's paid for. It's an A2 but I've got a good lead on an A1 that I'm considering modding and I too think the Cummins' 855 can be made into a beast.

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck runs well, there is not much difference. While I prefer the A2 with the 6CTA motor, the A0 and A1s with the NHC250s run just as well. Some guys in the military prefer the older NHC250. I have had both and never really had a dog. If you asked me, the truck with the 1100s would pull the best. As far as I know, the gear ratio in all of the variants was the same so the truck with the smallest tires would have the most pulling power. What do you want to do with the truck? If driving on the road and pulling heavy loads is most important, go with the 1100s. If you are driving empty and have no/limited hills, the 1400s are nice because of the added road speed.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more consideration, Joseph...the price? What is the difference? If you give me that info, I can give you a more informed response? I have owned two M936A2s, as well as multiple other M939 series trucks. I have never owned an NHC250 powered wrecker, but I know a guy who has and I have driven the truck.

sandcobra164

Price diff of about 4K between the two trucks. I really like the A2, have gotten to tow a truck home with it (how's that rate as a test drive? Pretty dang good!) and likely will go that way. The A1 I've looked at would need some new hydraulic lines. I just figured there was some untapped potential in all those cubes and wanted some feedback along those lines. I really don't need a wrecker but it would come in handy from time to time.

emr

Bkubu, sums it up nicely . availability of parts is the only thing I do not know about for the a2, they do run about the same as i have talked alot about them up at the flight facility here,and driven a few of them , most guys know it as the place to pick up trucks at Picatinny, some trucks are just right and run, but that can be either motor not prevalent to one really.

HawkeyeMech

Does anyone know where I can find some pics of an M934A2 in action (preferably in desert tan) from here in Texas? I'd like to replicate the markings on my truck since we don't have to have plates down here!!!

mdmorganwife

What kind of parts availability is there on the 900 series trucks? I've got my eye on a M936a2 w/w but it needs a few things to make it road worthy. thanks for any info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks