• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 can't manually inflate front tire???

Strouty

The CTIS is disconnected at the control box inside the cab, it was that way when I got the truck. I am trying to inflate the tire through the valve stem on the rim, all it does is hiss air out like I am using a blow gun. The schrader valve is working, the tire has been slowly loosing air and I have yet to be able to put any in it. Is there a trick or is this going to be a major endeavor?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just fixed one last sat the turret valve was leaking on back side of rim.
Broke the tire down and put a o ring behind the rubber grommet and tighten it up.
Leak fixed

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CTIS is disconnected at the control box inside the cab, it was that way when I got the truck. I am trying to inflate the tire through the valve stem on the rim, all it does is hiss air out like I am using a blow gun. The schrader valve is working, the tire has been slowly loosing air and I have yet to be able to put any in it. Is there a trick or is this going to be a major endeavor?
Hiss air out where? Is the CTIS wheel valve still hooked up to the valve stem? If so, then you're inflating through the other side of the turret valve? The cannon plug being disconnected in the cab has nothing to do with your tire loosing air. I'd start with putting a jack under the axle and replacing the valve core in case it's bad. Try the simple things first.

Strouty

What is the procedure to manually inflate a front tire? I am trying to use the schrader valve on the outside of the tire, is there another way? The tire is holding air, but it is so low, I do not want to drive it around before adding air.

The air seems like it is hissing out right behind where the schrader valve is. I also know the CTIS is not the issue for the leak, I am just trying to let everyone know that it was disconnected.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the procedure to manually inflate a front tire? I am trying to use the schrader valve on the outside of the tire, is there another way? The tire is holding air, but it is so low, I do not want to drive it around before adding air.

The air seems like it is hissing out right behind where the schrader valve is. I also know the CTIS is not the issue for the leak, I am just trying to let everyone know that it was disconnected.
So you suspect that the air is coming from the wheel valve?

brasco

Sounds like the same issue I've had before....it was loose hose between CTIS valve and tire. Remove the sheet metal guard off the rim. The CTIS valve is under there. Thers is a hose between the CTIS valve and the rim that came loose. On mine, someone put a schrader valve on the tire side too. I removed the schrader valve on the tire and reconneted the hose to the CTIS valve and then it worked.

Strouty

The steel protector is in the way and I can't exactly tell where it is leaking from. It seems like it is bypassing the tire all together, is there another location to manually inflate or am I at the right spot?

brasco

The steel protector is in the way and I can't exactly tell where it is leaking from. It seems like it is bypassing the tire all together, is there another location to manually inflate or am I at the right spot?
Remove that sheet metal guard... you will see it! See my post above... sounds exactly like the issue I had.

Last edited:

Strouty

Well my GTG just turned into fubar. I talked with Andy and it seemed like things were working, but the tire was not coming up. I took the CTIS hose off as he suggested and there was a schrader valve core all ready installed. So I started adding air into that one, everything was great until about 55 PSI, then I started hearing a hiss again. The steel tube that goes from the CTIS to the rim is corroded and looks like it is leaking from there.

I am fitting the daylight, but I am going to try and change the tire, manually, since my only source of air right now is the truck itself. I will post some pictures of the fiasco later. Thanks for the help guys, I just wish I had started earlier. At least I have a swench, so I would need a cheater pipe. I guess looking on the bright side, it should keep me warm as the sun goes away.

74M35A2

Just a personal opinion separate of this help thread but still to the OP: I would plug in the CTIS controller and see if it works. It just may. The CTIS in my truck works perfect, and even held up a tire on inflation when I ran over a car at the scrap metal yard and broke the valve stem off on my front-left. I drove home with no valve stem at all, and the tire was full up the entire time. The system also checks air in all 6 at every start. Mine inflates a little as the temp drops, just as you would expect. I'd equate it to having an engine you never have to change the oil on, it is that convenient.

Get 120psi in your air tanks, shut down, plug it in, and restart. See what happens. It will give diagnostic codes for most errors.

Strouty

Just a personal opinion separate of this help thread but still to the OP: I would plug in the CTIS controller and see if it works. It just may. The CTIS in my truck works perfect, and even held up a tire on inflation when I ran over a car at the scrap metal yard and broke the valve stem off on my front-left. I drove home with no valve stem at all, and the tire was full up the entire time. The system also checks air in all 6 at every start. Mine inflates a little as the temp drops, just as you would expect. I'd equate it to having an engine you never have to change the oil on, it is that convenient.

Get 120psi in your air tanks, shut down, plug it in, and restart. See what happens. It will give diagnostic codes for most errors.
I may try that after swapping the tires.

I got really lucky, it is holding at 45 PSI. I am only using it in the yard, so I am back to GTG from FUBAR. I will say that the spare tire is a lot easier to get down when you just don't care. I dropped it, then caught it after a couple of bounces. Who needs a sill jib and winch.

Thanks again guys. I will still post some pictures, since when I searched I did not see a lot of pictures, just a bunch of words.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Could be the split rim O ring ... or the little rubber o ring on the ctis Valve where it connects to the hub.. take it apart put new rubber o rings in and see what happens. In the mean time to prevent damage to the tire put a jack stand under the axle to help hold the truck up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks