• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 Front Hub/Spindle Compatibility

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to convert my front axle to outboard brake drums. My M818 is currently equipped with M939/M939A1 wedge brakes. The simplest route is to convert to the M939A2 hub/drum combination. I am not looking for a functioning CTIS system. I know that the brake spiders, air chambers and shoes are the same across all M939(A1/A2)-series trucks.

So with that, my questions is, are the M939A2 hubs and bearings compatible with the front steer spindles found on the M939A1/M939/M809/M39-series trucks? TM 9-2320-272-24P-1, pages 0237-2 & 0237-3, indicate (per the Usable On Codes [UOC]) that the standard NON-CTIS spindle, p/n 7346982, is compatible across all the incarnations of the M939-series of trucks. I find myself second guessing the TM, so any verification out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No. Different inner bearings. Outer bearings are the same though.

It would depend on where the a2 hub sits on the spindle. You would have to check the taper and find a correct rear seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks