• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 hood swap

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will vary greatly depending on the condition of the nuts and bolts. Almost all of them use a fine thread bolt with a captured nut. A little rust and the removal time can easily double with cutting bolts out. The rest is pretty is straightforward. I planned on doing mine in an evening until I found out how many bolts will have to be cut out.

Gunzy

Took me about 6 hrs but only had to cut 3 bolts out. Swamp Donkey is right though, the more you have to cut will increase the time a lot.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I guess I will say mine was close to 6 with 4 bolts cut out and all new put back in. Now some of use are better than others so for the insurance go with 8 hours.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 5 to cut out just on the right fender. I had to stop and regroup till I got new bolts. I've got the bolts and plan swap it on my next weekend off.

Sed6, I know you weren't asking me but I'll throw it out there. My hood apparently had a dent in the right front behind the grill when it went through depot rebuild. They Bondoed over it but it has started to chip. I was gonna have a buddy straighten it out for me but then two new hoods came up for auction at the base. I won both so my new project was clear.

dilligaf13

I'm curious how your hood was damaged and why insurance is involved. Inquiring minds want to know.
It was used, by a city, for part of their 4th of July festival. We were told that a security guard would specifically be assigned to the military vehicles 24/7, prior to ever agreeing to there use in the event. That never happened and people used them for jungle gyms. Not a lot of wiggle room, for the city, when there are numerous Facebook posts of kids people standing on top of the truck and we have before and after photos......

JohnnyBM931A2

It was used, by a city, for part of their 4th of July festival. We were told that a security guard would specifically be assigned to the military vehicles 24/7, prior to ever agreeing to there use in the event. That never happened and people used them for jungle gyms. Not a lot of wiggle room, for the city, when there are numerous Facebook posts of kids people standing on top of the truck and we have before and after photos......
WTF? I'd be furious!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have a crane, it does not take long at all for the physical swap of the hood. Swapping over the fenders and stuff, that takes a long time.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WTF? I'd be furious!
It wasn't intentional apparently. We have a combination of incompetence on the part of the city, and (most likely) ignorance on the part of people and their kids. A new hood and appropriate compensation and it should be ok. By refusing to get furious you have the opportunity to make a good impression that will reflect well on the entire MV community.

Now, if the city tries to wiggle out of making it right that would be a different story....

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might have gotten this done already but here's my times in case you haven't. I'd hope yours wouldn't be this bad since it's an A2. Hope this helps.

Copied from another thread.

Almost got done with the hood swap but the weather wasn't cooperating. I've got to finish bolting the fenders and the outside fixtures. I've got about 6.5 hours in removal of the old hood and I'll have about 1.5 hours on the install. With the hood being new and most of the captured nuts being on the hood itself, the install is going pretty quick. I had a buddy come over to lower the old hood and lift the new one but I've had the rest of the work to myself. Had to cut out 17 bolts and half of those were with a Dremel due to access. I had to drill out 2 of them because I couldn't even get the Drenel in there and needed to save the nuts on the grill. Most were just balls of rust with no chance of removal or even putting a socket on them. I think I see why RRAD just Bondoed over the dent now, lol.

I took the time to prime and paint the mating surfaces on the fenders and grill since I won't be able to get to them again. I'm using all new bolts with antiseize. With this almost behind me, the whole truck will be getting painted and stenciled in the coming weeks. I've got a small amount of prep work to do then the paint will be a flying.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a crane, it does not take long at all for the physical swap of the hood. Swapping over the fenders and stuff, that takes a long time.
I just saw your post. I did mine a little different to save some time and work since I don't have a crane.

I have winch extensions and no winch so I just took loose the hood limiting cables and propped the grill on some wood resting on the bumper. I cribbed it so the grill was level. I then unbolted the hood from the grill and fenders and left those in place. I tied the ends of the fenders back to the mirror brackets for a little support, although it didn't end up being needed.

Me and a buddy slid the old one off easily. I then moved the grab handle from the old one to the new one and slipped the new one in place. The only thing removed from the truck was the hood itself. A winch might make this approach more difficult, but the same could be done with a standard bumper if you cribbed it from the ground instead of the bumper. I just happen to have extensions with no winch...for the moment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, with a crane, you undo the 4 bolts under the hinge and lift. Its that easy.

As you have found, swapping everything over sucks azz.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, with a crane, you undo the 4 bolts under the hinge and lift. Its that easy.

As you have found, swapping everything over sucks azz.
Yes, yes it does. The dent is gone though and more importantly I got half my garage back, lol.

I bet a crane with a...load leveler...would be even better...:mrgreen:

Gunzy

I left the grill and fenders attached to the truck and only changed the hood piece. I did use an F350 boom style wrecker to lift the hood off and on but seemed easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks