• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 starter issue

Badbronc78

I havent been on here in a few years snd things have changed a lot.

My M939A2 was working fine parked it for a few months go to start it and it just clicks wont crank. I checked power to starter solenoid on starter and when I hit the start switch I get 25 volts to start terminal on solenoid. Solenoid clicks starter does not make any attempt to crank. Jumped two big lugs with a big screwdriver, lots of sparks starter didnt do anything. Did my starter just freeze up sitting, never had any problems with it before.

If I need a new starter I want to replace starter with a high quality gear reduction, soft start starter. Anyone recommend where to get one.

Its just weird I cant even manually bypass the wiring and jump it with a screwdriver. I havent tried turning engine over by hand because the starter doesnt seem to do a thing. Ive banged on starter with a hammer while jumping power to start terminal on solenoid and nothing.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@74M35A2

Contact member 74M35A2, he makes gear reduction starters for the 8.3 Cummins for these trucks (I still need to order one for mine too). Can’t beat the price nor service.

Last edited:

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you get into replacing expensive parts, check the simple things first. Have you load tested the batteries individually to make sure you have good amp capacity, not just good voltage? My deuce did the same thing a while back and it had a battery that had gone bad, but my charger said it had full voltage.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#74M35A2

Contact member 74M35A2, he makes gear reduction starters for the 8.3 Cummins for these trucks (I still need to order one for mine too). Can’t beat the price nor service.
I think you need the @ symbol in front of the user name instead of the # to send out the bat signal. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong… again.

@74M35A2

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plus 2 on checking the batteries. I've had bad batteries on my M818 act the same way after I had just shut the engine down. I thought the engine locked up. I barred it over and after a couple of revolutions, decided to check the batteries. New batteries solved the problem.

Also, if it's not batteries, try barring the engine over first. If it's locked up for some reason, you could destroy a new starter. Before you buy a new starter, if after trouble shooting you determine the starter is the problem. Pull the starter and run it on the ground with jumper cables. If it doesn't run, remove the solenoid and see if parts fall out. I had a screw come out of the solenoid on my M929 and the starter would just spin (and not throw out the bendix). Replacing the screw saved me several hundred $ for a new starter.

Badbronc78

Before you get into replacing expensive parts, check the simple things first. Have you load tested the batteries individually to make sure you have good amp capacity, not just good voltage? My deuce did the same thing a while back and it had a battery that had gone bad, but my charger said it had full voltage.
I have considered this and Im going to load test them before I do anything else. Thank you

Badbronc78

Plus 2 on checking the batteries. I've had bad batteries on my M818 act the same way after I had just shut the engine down. I thought the engine locked up. I barred it over and after a couple of revolutions, decided to check the batteries. New batteries solved the problem.

Also, if it's not batteries, try barring the engine over first. If it's locked up for some reason, you could destroy a new starter. Before you buy a new starter, if after trouble shooting you determine the starter is the problem. Pull the starter and run it on the ground with jumper cables. If it doesn't run, remove the solenoid and see if parts fall out. I had a screw come out of the solenoid on my M929 and the starter would just spin (and not throw out the bendix). Replacing the screw saved me several hundred $ for a new starter.
I will do this too thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks