• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2 wheel studs?

Mos68x

Does anyone have any specs/dimensions for these wheel studs? I sheared all 10 of mine off yesterday, leaving the truck stranded 40 miles from home with a few tons of high grade gold ore in the bed. Jeff is hopefully still pulling enough for one wheel replacement, but having some info on these to find something commercially available would be nice. Even if I don’t find perfect fitting replacements, and something that is only “close enough” will make me happy. Honestly though I can just about garauntee that Meritor did not create a new stud for this application so it is just a matter of finding the part number in the books somewhere

.679C6420-3885-4323-BA5D-398F4A595F0E.jpeg7170C9B3-88C2-4628-BAB3-84B3F0C0BFBC.jpegA9A8BB4F-41EA-409A-B777-25DA07CBE0EC.jpeg84E7DB79-C1DE-4DD7-9509-B0473028AD9A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
20x-1816z RH

20x-1815 LH

Those are both meritor numbers. Its available from an international dealer as well. They are the same knurl as 809 series studs which are more common. 809 series studs are just shorter. A good bit shorter. Its a special length for the combat wheels. Not a common thing.

You can use 809 series studs and use an inner thimble then install the wheel and use the outer 7/8 nuts that the dual trucks use.

If you are in a bind pull other drums off. Steal 2 from every other drum to get you by till the come in. You can use RH studs on LH side

You can also use 3/4"-16 bolts. Remove drum/hub. Bolt it to the wheel using the old lug nuts. Remove the brake shoes if the bolt heads won't clear them Then reinstall it all together. L9 bolts if available. Grade 8s would work though

Mos68x

Thanks for the quick replies. I know Jeff asked Wes late last night for me, since I had part numbers, I just wasn’t sure if the part numbers I had found were correct. Good thing I asked cause y’all two said they were wrong for my application.

In theory, it sounds like I can use the knurl info from the 809 and look for something with a long enough threaded area in 3/4”-16.... sound about right?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the quick replies. I know Jeff asked Wes late last night for me, since I had part numbers, I just wasn’t sure if the part numbers I had found were correct. Good thing I asked cause y’all two said they were wrong for my application.

In theory, it sounds like I can use the knurl info from the 809 and look for something with a long enough threaded area in 3/4”-16.... sound about right?
Doubtful you will find anything. Most 3/4" -16 studs are not long since they are used duals to run a thimble nut on them

You can run 809 studs and get a recessed budd nut like 98g used for hemtt wheels on his 818

Mos68x

Doubtful you will find anything. Most 3/4" -16 studs are not long since they are used duals to run a thimble nut on them

You can run 809 studs and get a recessed budd nut like 98g used for hemtt wheels on his 818
Thanks Wes, I’ll see if I have any local stuff for the 809 to get the truck back home at least.

Mos68x

So far I’m not having any luck finding anything that will work, not even the 54/809 budd stuff. Everyone has moved to hub-centric setups and no one has locally sold the budd stuff in a long time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's part of a gold heist? Sorry couldn't resist. How many few tons are you toting? Any chance of chaining that side up and proceeding cautiously on the remaining 5? Any serious trails ahead?

m715mike

Maybe it's part of a gold heist? Sorry couldn't resist. How many few tons are you toting? Any chance of chaining that side up and proceeding cautiously on the remaining 5? Any serious trails ahead?

Mos68x posted this in a separate thread

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hundred bucks a dozen at

Is this it at 17 bucks each?

Mos68x

Hundred bucks a dozen at

Is this it at 17 bucks each?

I found some for $20/10 pack, only eBay and the military vendors are the ones over pricing that shyte, the rest of the ones I found were around $2-3 a stud.

i had about an estimated 5.8 tons in the back. I tried binding the back axle up (rear axle studs snapped) but every time I pulled a link out, it just sucked the bed closer to the ground and put more stress on the front tire, and never pulled the drum off the ground

Edit: forgot to mention that I did call Jacks in Tucson, but he didn’t have anything on hand. I didn’t have any luck finding parts locally, even resorting to budd style to get it home. Jeff just sent me a set of studs and nuts today, so hopefully Wed or Thursday I’ll get them in and get the truck home. I’ll order at least enough studs and nuts to replace two full wheel sets, just make sure I’m not stranded on the side of the road again.

Last edited:

Mos68x

I’m going to order some studs (RH & LH) from this place by this weekend, I’ll let y’all know if it is legit. Also going to order some extra nuts (RH & LH) as well From NAPA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks