• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939's are rebuilt M809's??????

jasonjc

In the wiki it says that the M939's are just rebuilt M809's???

In David Doyle's book Standard catalog of U S Military vehicles. It says that the M809 and M939 were produced side by side briefly as the M939 series production began and the M809 production ended.
Now I ask why would they be building M809 just rebuild into M939's

Who is right, or is there more to the story???

jwaller

yes 939's were rebuilt from 809's just like with the A3 program for the deuces. both served side by side for a long period of time. just because they built both at the same time doesnt mean anything.

FWIW BMY did the 939's and AMG did the 809's so I don't think they were side by side.

jasonjc

BMY did the M939A2's not the frist M939's and M939A1's

So we have 2 no and 1 yes.
Maybe I should have made this a poll?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think JWALLER meant to say that the "939's were NOT rebuilt from 809's." They were new trucks. That does not mean that some parts might not be interchangeable (doors, driver's seat, lights, reflectors, tailgate, etc.)...but they definitely were new trucks...not rebuilds. The M35A3s, on the other hand, were rebuilt M35A2s.

They were building both simultaneaously. As one series was wrapping up, they were ramping up for the other. I am not sure, but, perhaps, they had a lot of spare parts left for the M809 series (nah, makes too much sense) or they could not get the M939 series ramped up fast enough to fill their needs. I am not sure the reason why they were built side by side, but they both were built from scratch...not rebuilt from an earlier series.

emr

I will say in my opinion they are definetley new trucks, BUT as said they were built next to each other at first, they are M series 5 ton and that means alot of interchangability, They were I would bet lunch the first frames and motors and all parts left over from the 800 series were slaped right on the assembly line in the first batchs, and when needed later on also, , and after all why not, I have seen the older style tail gate hooks on some 900 series trucks, when needed an old parts locker can readily be put on trucks in an assembly like these because of interchangability, they are the same truck in so many ways, but like all mil vehicles had some changes along its life...But for sure the winchs and transes and cabs and hoods were surly new, as they were the new main design changes...But to be straight they were NOT rebuilt, but surly did get new 800 parts from the shop...