• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939s being cut up

Monkeyboyarmy

It's not just the government cutting them up, I took a ride to Camp Shelby to have a look and drove through a town call Purvis Miss. and they were cutting them up there as well, tires winches and the like laying around, but most going for scrap weight. If anyone is down that way the tires were a deal, don't know about the rest.

US 11 heading north?

Attachments

Last edited:

Augdog1964

Had no problem purchasing my Ferret M1 and driving it around. No logic, as usual, with certain decision making.

You can buy a Suburban or the like armored or get it armored. They blend in with other like vehicles. An MV is so distinctive in it's profile, it is easy to spot. And of course everyone knows the escape road speed of an up-armored 5 ton (LOL) - it would be another police video of a "low speed pursuit".....

Same argument made about gun control - law abiding citizens properly use same and obey laws, those with criminal intent do not obey laws, so you attempt to restrict the use by all because of the potential actions of the few;
First - that has been proven time and time again NOT to work (look no further than prohibition)
Second - armored vehicles in private hands already exist - and with the EUC maybe the government needs to ratchet up the "vetting" process for release of armor

It is unfortunate that the government has chosen destruction over redistribution.
Thank you so much for stating the obvious... why would civilians not be trusted with armored vehicles? Why should we not have the right to buy them? Elected officials who don't trust the "populace" probably have a reason they shouldn't.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a good approach would be somebody with a relationship with the press or elected official start a campaign to call this out. The story is solid about government waste and would resonate with the public and the press would have interest to pick up. The good part is that potentially some policies could change and more importantly equipment be saved. The bad news is that more publicity will be directed at the whole drmo process which would bring in more competition at auctions.

This approach has pros and cons to the hobby.

I have no clue how much stuff we are loosing to the cruncher. Maybe somebody has some solid facts that could guide a more educated decision on whether this is worth pursuing. Just FYI, my stake in this is I would really like a hummer but not for 36k.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you may have......but not from us!!!

Let me start by saying I been in this hobby over 35 years
and have witnessed some very gut wrenching scenes in my
journey. I have worked for a govt. Defense contractor, salvage
yard, and one if not " the" largest mil. Surplus stores in my
state of ky.
I have been in drmo yards and seen pallet basket lining the
lots,row after row of cut up guns,some worn out some new
still full of cosmolene.
I have witnessed the m-151 's demise the m-561 and many
,many, many more.
I once watched a navy huey come in on a trailer with 400
+/- hrs. On it get picked up by the tailboom and lowered slowly
into a huge metal mulcher and spit out as corn flakes!!!
And this goes on......day after day ...after day.
And nothing will change it!!!
I once pointed out to a drmo guy in charge of "demilling"
a bunch if stuff destined for the scrap heap...that hey why are you cutting
these up when I can go get these same pieces from
civilian sources......his answer was" sure you can......but you donn't get them
from us!!!!" and this is part of the problem. The powers in control
don't want attention drawn to their wasteful ways
and if 60 minutes does a story on how some nutcase
goes off and kills people using some piece of military surplus
equipment it looks bad and brings unwanted attention
to their little spending orgy, and well........we can't have that!!!
Are you starting to see the pic I'm drawing for you?
Raise a flag about cutting up and destruction of a specific
group of 900 series truck........then the answer will be...
We need to cut them all up.
The thing that bothers me the most......guns don't kill people!
People kill people!!!!
Armored up vehicles don't kill and destroy......people
kill people and destroy!!!!
Not rocket science.......human nature at its worst.
And the bottom line is.....it is as always.......about
★★★★★★★★money,money,money★★★★★★★★
:rant::rant::rant:
Bill/popacom.......

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Thank you so much for stating the obvious... why would civilians not be trusted with armored vehicles? Why should we not have the right to buy them? Elected officials who don't trust the "populace" probably have a reason they shouldn't.
Same pansies that come up with this stuff are the ones that wet themselves over the idea of free men owning firearms.

sandcobra164

We've got a project going on that involves pulling the armored cab off of MK-48's and John Deere 644E scoop loaders. The remaining chassis will go to DRMO. The original sheet metal cabs went to DRMO about a year ago and had to be crushed prior to removal. Talk about Waste, Fraud and Abuse. Money spent on the construction and armoring of the cab, installation, storage of the sheet metal cab, crushing the sheet metal cab, selling at a loss as residue/scrap, money spent removing the armored cab, not sure what they'll do with the armored cab but the chassis will be sold to the highest scrap bidder, so they'll take a loss on that as well. I can't complain too much, I got a CUCV that had been stored in a cave in Norway for likely less than it cost to have it shipped home in an ISO container, and Uncle Sam footed that bill and likely smiled. It's rough seeing such nice equipment destroyed. We even rebuilt quite a few MK 48 cabs that are sitting on the lot. They'll probably meet the same fate. The sad thing is, they were rebuilt even though they became obsolete when the LVSR series came on board 3 years ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks