• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m944A1?

bimota

Anyone have the Gross Vehicle Weight for the M944A1? The 800 series manuals show weights from 20,000 to 30,000. I need to know if the M944A1 Mobile Shop with all tools is less than 26,000lbs. Need to move one in a week or so and it makes all the difference if it is heavier than that.

Can some point me to source documents or photo of the truck plate (the one the highway patrol will see) or maybe you know because you have one. Thanks,

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anyone have the Gross Vehicle Weight for the M944A1? The 800 series manuals show weights from 20,000 to 30,000. I need to know if the M944A1 Mobile Shop with all tools is less than 26,000lbs. Need to move one in a week or so and it makes all the difference if it is heavier than that.

Can some point me to source documents or photo of the truck plate (the one the highway patrol will see) or maybe you know because you have one. Thanks,
NO

bimota

No, you don't know?
No, you are having a bad day?
No, you don't want to help the forum members?
No, I'm beating a dead horse :deadhorse: nobody knows?
No Go buy a truck scale and report back? WTF?

Danl

Danl M915A1

that nice truck is a five ton with big tires , with nothing in it you are allready at 20 thousand pounds that layed is not a light thing. tools are heavy, i need wheels on my tool box jest to move it around the shop ther is air compresser air tools generater power tools nuts bolts. fully loader, and don't forget the lunch box. if you like to eat like me . you will be over 26 k you will need a class B and you will have to deal with D O T . But That is only what i think it is a nice truck and it is a class B sorry to say

bimota

Ok, I'm gettin' it thru my thick head. GL states 30,000lbs so I'm guess that's pretty close. Class B it is, darn - there goes the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" photo shoot and photo shoot camping in Yosemite, and the photos of Giant Sequoias, trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada from the bumper of the M944 photos - a lot of forum members would have liked those;)

Anyone have the trailer version and wants to trade for a truck version of the mobile shop?

bimota

There goes the "Vegas" road trip

Ok, I'm gettin' it thru my thick head. GL states 30,000lbs so I'm guess that's pretty close. Class B it is, darn - there goes the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" photo shoot and photo shoot camping in Yosemite, and the photos of Giant Sequoias, trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada from the bumper of the M944 photos - a lot of forum members would have liked those;)

Anyone have the trailer version and wants to trade for a truck version of the mobile shop?

bimota

Yes, but in California a trailer cost $10 each 5 years and a truck of that weight will be $1500 per year or more. So the trailer makes some sense if you don't plan to drive it often.

Danl

Danl M915A1

that truck should sell easy, if you didn't pay to much, if the tools are ther you are bless on a flip

bimota

This is not about flip, this is about creating jobs. We are working to put mechanics and machinist back to work repairing remote equipment and agricultural equipment. I'd encourage those members that reusing our surplus for economic recovery is admirable, buying refurbishing and putting back to work these expensive tax payer funded machines is the American thing to do. These flippers who sit in a chair and buy and sell online are just middlemen worsening the economic situation - get this stuff Back to Work!

Also, I need the shop manual if anyone has it, cash paid!

Danl

Danl M915A1

This is not about flip, this is about creating jobs. We are working to put mechanics and machinist back to work repairing remote equipment and agricultural equipment. I'd encourage those members that reusing our surplus for economic recovery is admirable, buying refurbishing and putting back to work these expensive tax payer funded machines is the American thing to do. These flippers who sit in a chair and buy and sell online are just middlemen worsening the economic situation - get this stuff Back to Work!

Also, I need the shop manual if anyone has it, cash paid!
I hope I didn't upset you, I thought you did not want to get a CDL class, and I was pointing out that you are not stuck with this truck, I don't flip trucks I paint them civy paint and put them to work,. I tryed to win a shop truck awhile back but the Fu--en flippers won and i wanted a shop truck to keep my Trucks running and Hauling, I feel the same way you do. My trucks go were no peterbuilt would dear roll, and I charge half the price of that shinny crome POS. My boys and I have Balls to get the Job done.

bimota

Beast arrived yesterday - main batteries needed replacement and the engine shut down handle was offset but soon after that the Cummins 250 fired up. Drove it in the yard and opened the batmobile wings and started unloading boxes and boxes of brand new hand tools, a couple welders, enough emery paper to polish the Golden Gate Bridge and all kinds of tube shaped things with big heavy chains. Bottom line, looks like a solid rig - key issue is engaging the PTO - can someone email me the proper way to engage PTO? And if there is no special process - maybe someone can tell me how to engage one that is probably not moved since 1986. Thanks, picture to follow soon - should I start a new thread?:razz:

Danl

Danl M915A1

not sure what pto you have if its not a hot shift here what you do. you stet on the break with the truck in gear. doing this you will stop the tranny from spinning while truck in gear and stepping on the break you shift the pto in gear. you may have the hand break set it will work as well after to put the pto in gear you place tranny in N and your pto will be spinning the winch better be in N to because the pto is taking off Good luck it is easy shift out the same way truck in gear break on sift out all is good

bimota

Ok, I have an 86 M939 truck under the SEORTM and I downloaded the manual last night - thank you SteelSoldiers! What I am unable to engage and disengage is the transfer case - lever is between the seats next to the parking brake. The PTO lever to the left of the driver seat moves. This is not the ECU truck of later years

We tried neutral, rocking the truck back and forth slightly and having the foot on the brake. The manual does not provide much enlightenment - it says put in neutral and pull the lever. I'm not sure if there is a lock out somewhere or if it is just stuck from lack of use. We did not try it while in gear.

I need to spend more time with the manual but it does talk about the following:

INTERLOCK AIR CYLINDER – Under air pressure, a piston in the
interlock air cylinder forces a shaft against one of three grooves in transfer
case shift lever. This prevents transfer case from being shifted with
transmission in gear.
INTERLOCK SOLENOID VALVE – Releases air from interlock air cylinder
when transmission is in neutral and transfer case shift lever switch is
depressed. This permits the transfer case high/low shift shaft to move.

Thanks for the help if anyone knows a specific sequence. :???:

Danl

Danl M915A1

I don't Know how far you got ,but I would find the air cillinder and make sure you have air to it and if you do dose the cill work that is were I would start

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Bigmota, the transmission does need to be in neutral to shift the transfer case, or else you will just grind gears. You need to press and hold the button on the end of the transfer case lever while shifting to release the interlocks that you mentioned. If the truck is not moving and the gears are not lined up just right, it can be really hard to get the transfer case to engage in either range. It can be especially hard if you are stopped on level ground, such that the truck won't move at all when you release the brakes. It's one of those quirks of the truck that you learn to work around with practice. I'm still getting the hang of it. I'm getting better at picking a good time to shift with the truck moving a bit, but sometimes I still find myself pumping the lever up and down while cussing a lot.

bimota

Ok, got it, I had a friend pull on the handle while I used a bar to nudge the transfer case lever under the truck. Thank you all for the input.

I'm going to start a new thread called M944A1 - Mobile Shop Civilian Conversion - that will detail what I am going to put the truck back to work and to identify and capture knowledge on the all the strange stuff that they come with. I have a real nice winch control but no winch - ? Do look for the thread starting today August 2012