• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M945 Bridge Truck Suspension Questions.

bluehorse

I want to run 1600R20 tires on an M925A2. I want to be able to run tire chains and want more clearance between the front and rear tandem axle tires.

I was looking at running M945 length torque rods and leaf springs but I'm a little confused.

The M945 torque rods look like they are 25 inches and only an inch longer than the standard torque rods. This would only give two more inches space.

Im a little confused because I have read the Bridge truck rear leaf springs are 60" long and the standard M939 springs are "48" long so the Bridge truck springs are 12" longer but the torque rods added together are only 2" longer. Am I missing something?

Also has anyone ever lengthened the torque rods before by cutting them in the middle, adding a sleeve and welding them back up?

My plan was to move the axle mounts/sub frame back farther on the frame and then spread the axles farther apart so they had good clearance between the tires.

Does anyone know of any other torque rods for maybe a different application that are longer but have the same ends?

I was also looking at adding 3" lift blocks to the front and rear suspension with longer U-Bolts.

I need to check the shock travel to see if this will work.

Also wondering if longer u-bolts can be made with the flat area at the top like on the factory U-bolts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Get two longer leafs for each side. Cut your torque rods and extend ghem however much space you want then put them back together using channel iron so they are just as strong but you maintain your torque rods. The cheapest way you can do it. We did it on a deuce years ago to fit 1400s. You can keep your standard leaf spring pack and just add two longer ones to the bottom

You never add lift blocks to the front steer axle. Ever. Add a lift air bag instead in place of the front axle bump stop and remove a few leafs

bluehorse

Yeah, I get the whole front lift block thing. I'm not really a fan but I used to work at a company that had heavy offroad 6x6 trucks almost all of them had front blocks ranging from two to four inches from the factory. Some had u-bolt holes so there was no way the block could spit out. Some bolted to the spring pack with longer center pins and or both. Most were longer than the width of the axle so they could not roll and some had ears welded to them that saddled the axle too. I could also add more leaf springs to the bottom of the spring pack and they are bolted in with the center pin but I think your getting the same thing with a block. I would never run blocks over 1" on a pickup but we used to run what they called zero rate 1" blocks that bolted into the spring pack with no problems.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, I get the whole front lift block thing. I'm not really a fan but I used to work at a company that had heavy offroad 6x6 trucks almost all of them had front blocks ranging from two to four inches from the factory. Some had u-bolt holes so there was no way the block could spit out. Some bolted to the spring pack with longer center pins and or both. Most were longer than the width of the axle so they could not roll and some had ears welded to them that saddled the axle too. I could also add more leaf springs to the bottom of the spring pack and they are bolted in with the center pin but I think your getting the same thing with a block. I would never run blocks over 1" on a pickup but we used to run what they called zero rate 1" blocks that bolted into the spring pack with no problems.

keyword there is "offroad" They were not on the highway traveling at speeds up to 60 to 70mph with a lift block under the front axle.

MAdams

I was going to replace the rear axle bog bones with ones from a bridge truck to move the axle back an inch. Just to do something different. You might also have to address the drive shaft length

There is a new bride truck torque rod on ebay

bluehorse

MAadams. Yes, I figured I would have to lengthen the main driveshaft and the driveshaft between the axles. Im thinking of moving the axle sub frame back about 6" or so.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks