• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M970 series of unfortunate events

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So to preface this whole ordeal, we normally drained this trailer if temps were below 20*F

We use a M970 as a water tender to feed grass rigs chasing fires. Normally have zero issues with 20's , unbeknown to us the belly valve failed, stuck, had a catastrophic failure of some sort. As normal, we drained all the piping, pump and lines, prepared for cold. Check on truck a few days later and have a water leak that has frozen.

IMG_7563[1].JPG

Today is warmed up in the 40's so i drag out a H82 heater and a tarp, begin the process of heating everything up and dumping 5,000 gallons of water. Come to find out, piping froze, split at Y, gates all valves split or bulged to nonfunctional, butterfly valves survived but the flanges they are bolted to broke the welds to the pipes, main pump cracked up center like an egg.

IMG_7565[1].JPG

IMG_7567[1].JPG

IMG_7568[1].JPG

IMG_7571[1].JPG
IMG_7574[1].JPG

So now, my question is..... is there any pumps out there or does anyone have an idea for a pump to replace this Gorman-Rupp pump?

I can get all the valves, and can build or repair the piping, but have not had any luck on this pump. So I am asking for ideas.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is sad to see, sorry for the problem!

She will live again, with much less piping and valves, we will build her back like a water tender not a fueler.

First things will be load and unload points on both sides, was given a lead for a larger pump that looks like it will bolt up.

I will also be contacting a Gorman-Rupp dealer monday, with the serial number, was told we can still get parts from manufacture.

GopherHill

So to preface this whole ordeal, we normally drained this trailer if temps were below 20*F

We use a M970 as a water tender to feed grass rigs chasing fires. Normally have zero issues with 20's , unbeknown to us the belly valve failed, stuck, had a catastrophic failure of some sort. As normal, we drained all the piping, pump and lines, prepared for cold. Check on truck a few days later and have a water leak that has frozen.

View attachment 884626

Today is warmed up in the 40's so i drag out a H82 heater and a tarp, begin the process of heating everything up and dumping 5,000 gallons of water. Come to find out, piping froze, split at Y, gates all valves split or bulged to nonfunctional, butterfly valves survived but the flanges they are bolted to broke the welds to the pipes, main pump cracked up center like an egg.

View attachment 884627

View attachment 884628

View attachment 884629

View attachment 884630
View attachment 884631

So now, my question is..... is there any pumps out there or does anyone have an idea for a pump to replace this Gorman-Rupp pump?

I can get all the valves, and can build or repair the piping, but have not had any luck on this pump. So I am asking for ideas.
Take a look at Northern Tool. We use 2 of their high pressure pumps on VFD trucks.
You could go back with plastic since you are using water in the tanker.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She will live again, with much less piping and valves, we will build her back like a water tender not a fueler.

First things will be load and unload points on both sides, was given a lead for a larger pump that looks like it will bolt up.

I will also be contacting a Gorman-Rupp dealer monday, with the serial number, was told we can still get parts from manufacture.
That maybe the best thing to do is just repipe it and loss all the fuel piping. It is amazing at all the pipes under the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks