• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 HEMTT Acquisition

HASSON1911

Well boys, on June 3rd I won an auction for an 1988 M977 HEMTT, and today I just accepted a bid through veritread 1276 miles for a total of $3732($2.92/mi) and now its time to relax and wait for her to show up, but I cant relax because between the anticipation from medic school and and being giddy for my new toy I decided to open this thread and prepare for the flood of pictures.

TO DO:

1.Fix air tank one bracket is broken and not building or holding air.
2.Temp gauge I don't know how long GP runs these trucks for the videos but it was pinned on hot, hopeful its just the gauge or sender.
3. Im going to need some help from fellow M977 owners for dimensions and fab up an AR500 grill.
4.Headliner appears to have let go, must decide to either remove or just have some spray glue to re-stick it
5.The bed appears to have been bent with the farm it looks to be an easy fix to bend back.
6.This is going to be long after school but i will either repaint either tan or 3 camo or 3 color desert camo.

UPDATE: 9/7/2015 Shes home now waiting till i can go home this thurs for pictures and inspeciton.

Attachments

Last edited:

m715mike

Congratulations on the acquisition! I am officially jealous. :beer:

Question. What happened with the truck between June 3 and August 28? Did you have a local tow service pick it up and store it, did GP store it for you, etc.?

HASSON1911

Congratulations on the acquisition! I am officially jealous.

Question. What happened with the truck between June 3 and August 28? Did you have a local tow service pick it up and store it, did GP store it for you, etc.?
GP stored it right on the base waiting for the EUC to clear. haha

As far as what happened during that time I hope and praying nothing.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As far as what happened during that time I hope and praying nothing.
I hope they didn't move it around with a forklift. GL had a bad habit of doing that.

I drove them in the Army and for what they were built for they are good vehicles.

That being said:

They ride like an oxcart.

They are hideously hot in the summer.

They are loud. Get hearing protection and use it.

When they are empty they will slide like a hog on ice if you slam on the brakes, especially on a hot road.

That double breasted Driptroit will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

If you run that Driptroit out of fuel you will find out the meaning of frustration trying to get it to prime. Check your fuel cap, if there is not a valve stem installed in it to pressurize the system then go ahead and install one. Trust me on this.

They have a steep learning curve concerning how to turn sitting ahead of the steering axles.

The good news is they will run 70 MPH all day long or until you run out of fuel.

I would love to have one just for the cool factor but I'm on the wagon for now.

HASSON1911

I hope they didn't move it around with a forklift. GL had a bad habit of doing that.

I drove them in the Army and for what they were built for they are good vehicles.

That being said:

They ride like an oxcart.

They are hideously hot in the summer.

They are loud. Get hearing protection and use it.

When they are empty they will slide like a hog on ice if you slam on the brakes, especially on a hot road.

That double breasted Driptroit will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

If you run that Driptroit out of fuel you will find out the meaning of frustration trying to get it to prime. Check your fuel cap, if there is not a valve stem installed in it to pressurize the system then go ahead and install one. Trust me on this.

They have a steep learning curve concerning how to turn sitting ahead of the steering axles.

The good news is they will run 70 MPH all day long or until you run out of fuel.

I would love to have one just for the cool factor but I'm on the wagon for now.

Wow i didn't know about the top speed, my first MV that could get me a speeding ticket haha, not really going to test that one.

If they did move it (or attempt) with a forklift i don't know if i should be mad, impressed or dumb-founded.

I shouldn't be too surprised about the ride or heat given my experience with past trucks, maybe a air ride seat and a/c mod will have to be added to the list.

HanksDeuce

Congrats on the purchase. What tires do they have for 70mph speed? My 16R20 Michelin XZL tired are only rated to 55mph. Maybe getting into the safety factor?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What tires do they have for 70mph speed? My 16R20 Michelin XZL tired are only rated to 55mph. Maybe getting into the safety factor?
I didn't say it was a good idea......just that they will do it. They were built to keep up with the M1 Abrams tank. I have clocked an M1 on a tank trail (while driving an M916) at 62 MPH. He pulled away from me.:shock:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's beautiful! A truck like that is on my long list of "want" and also on my only slightly shorter lists of "probably never"/ "in wildest dreams" / "you don't know enough to handle something like that".

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Never ever will I buy out of FT worth. I got a call today from my carrier stating the are picking it up today at 230 but i had to call to pay 150 fee. I proceed to call "Phil and son heavy haul" 817-847-8534, and spoke to a "James". Immediately after identifying my load he goes off yelling about how I was responsible for my truck driver missing a 930 appointment(even though I have not had contact with my carrier in regards to a pick up and that it was between them and my carrier) and how now they will charge $150 dollars to go back and "help" my driver load my truck. Then he stated that it was to actually start the truck and not load. Then he changed his to to how if the couldn't start the truck they would pull it on the trailer. He also mentioned they have "damaged loads" just to get them loaded. I told him I would call beck after they load my truck to see what they did to get her running so I could get parts ready on my end.(I already am) but he stated how they all need to be jumped and all need to be aired up. It seems like the whole $150 is either them moonlighting or this company trying to squeeze the pennies out before your truck is out of their possession.

I know this is a company that is not directly affiliated with veritread but is none the less endorsed by them and they will be hearing about this...after 230 once my truck is safe.

HASSON1911

Just remember auction pictures can be deceiving haha, looks like ill be buying some o-rings. This was sent from the trucker before loading, he stated that the owner of the storage and one responsible for loading, wanted to load it like this, good thing my trucker had a set and said air them up or hes not taking the load.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks