• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 Radiator- Please

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would think a older cab over White would have a radiator that would be a close fit, a lot of those trucks ran 8v71s and 8v92s, these motors were a lot of times tricked up, pulling 700+ hp so the cooling system had to match.

JDToumanian

It's nice of you guys to offer suggestions to use radiators from other vehicles, but obviously you have never seen a HEMTT radiator. There is absolutely no practical way to adapt something else to this application... The HEMTT radiator is huge, and it's welded steel top tank and side pieces (which also support the core) are part of the butterfly engine bay covers. In my opinion, any other solution, including blocking off the leaking tubes to use the current radiator with slightly reduced cooling capacity, is better than cobbling together a pile of ****.

Jon

Attachments

jjb

It's nice of you guys to offer suggestions to use radiators from other vehicles, but obviously you have never seen a HEMTT radiator. There is absolutely no practical way to adapt something else to this application... The HEMTT radiator is huge, and it's welded steel top tank and side pieces (which also support the core) are part of the butterfly engine bay covers. In my opinion, any other solution, including blocking off the leaking tubes to use the current radiator with slightly reduced cooling capacity, is better than cobbling together a pile of ****.

Jon
There are lots of creative people on here who I guarantee could make something work and look original.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dk8019

Thanks for posting the picture of the radiator. I've never really thought about the beast that's in mine, except to make sure she's full, but when I look at that picture, it seems to me that a leak could only occur at the gaskets for each of the sides of the radiator, is that not correct? It doesn't have any external tubes from the looks of it.

JDToumanian

There are lots of creative people on here who I guarantee could make something work and look original.
That's why I said no "practical" way. :whistle: He could form copper tubes, fold up fins, and solder up a core 100% from scratch but it's not "practical." ... It's for a volunteer fire department, so they should be able to get something from the government, or maybe they can find one they can afford through surplus channels. I saw one NOS sell for $950 last year, I'm sure someday I'll regret not adding it to my parts inventory. But I'd sooner bake cookies for fund raisers and buy a radiator at full retail price than adapt from another application.

For the OP, if you haven't seen it yet, here's the NSN report for the HEMTT radiator: http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/haystack?nsn=2930011320978

From that, you can see the original manufacturers and their original part numbers... Modine 1A020237, Modine 1H020237, API 816A, etc. It'll take some Googling and phone calls, but I bet it will get results.

JDToumanian

Thanks for posting the picture of the radiator. I've never really thought about the beast that's in mine, except to make sure she's full, but when I look at that picture, it seems to me that a leak could only occur at the gaskets for each of the sides of the radiator, is that not correct? It doesn't have any external tubes from the looks of it.
Other than the core itself, it can only leak at the top and bottom tank gaskets. The steel side pieces are just supports for the tanks and core and do not hold any water.

Bowmanvolfire

Hello All:

It is leaking from the top and the bottom. Here is where we are at: a new one for 3450, a core for 2375 and then 800 for the shop to do the work, and a used one for 1600. And we have been offered a M977 to use as parts for 3K. Further opinions?

John
BCVFD

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All:

It is leaking from the top and the bottom. Here is where we are at: a new one for 3450, a core for 2375 and then 800 for the shop to do the work, and a used one for 1600. And we have been offered a M977 to use as parts for 3K. Further opinions?

John
BCVFD

I would think the used one for $3k. You can probably sell off parts and scrap the rest. I would think you will get a
"free" radiator and make a few $

Bowmanvolfire

Juanprado and Forum:

Only problem is we aren't sure how to get the parts M977 moved 2.5 hours to our location. There are three for us to pick from so we are confident we could find one with a good radiator, just having a problem with the logistics side of that deal.

John
BCVFD

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone near by with a 916 or 920 and a heavy bar?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From looking at to picture, it is a mulit piece radiator, the tanks/sides are hemmt specific, the core is most likely not, I have replaced quite a few BIG tractor radiators, I would order the CORE size along with the top/bottom plate size, would arrive with the plates UNDRILLED then drill for my tanks, I was surprised at times that the same core fit different brand radiators (Cat, IH, Euclid)
So all you NEED is the core, this is the way to go, NOT a complete radiator .

DrillerSurplus

Hello All:

John
BCVFD
As long as you have somewhere to store it, I think you should get one of the parts M977- you never know which expensive part you might need next. You might be able to get a local heavy tow company to help you out with a reasonable fee for getting it delivered to you.