• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 Radiator- Please

JDToumanian

From looking at to picture, it is a mulit piece radiator, the tanks/sides are hemmt specific, the core is most likely not, I have replaced quite a few BIG tractor radiators, I would order the CORE size along with the top/bottom plate size, would arrive with the plates UNDRILLED then drill for my tanks, I was surprised at times that the same core fit different brand radiators (Cat, IH, Euclid)
So all you NEED is the core, this is the way to go, NOT a complete radiator .
I haven't called around yet, but when I looked up the NSN for the core only, it shows that the government paid over $4000 per core a few years ago... That's more than the whole radiator. Hopefully you're right, it would be great if a multi-application core could fit the HEMTT tanks and side pieces. I'm going to need to pull my radiator soon, probably this fall. It's got a very slow leak, but it makes me nervous when I drive the truck.

Shroud and core are 9 inches deep and its around 28 x 37 inches.
The HEMTT radiator is about 41" wide x 48" tall and 11" thick, it has two inputs at the top because the 8V92 has two water pumps... It's also got a transmission oil cooler in the bottom.

DrillerSurplus

I haven't called around yet, but when I looked up the NSN for the core only, it shows that the government paid over $4000 per core a few years ago... That's more than the whole radiator. Hopefully you're right, it would be great if a multi-application core could fit the HEMTT tanks and side pieces. I'm going to need to pull my radiator soon, probably this fall. It's got a very slow leak, but it makes me nervous when I drive the truck.

The HEMTT radiator is about 41" wide x 48" tall and 11" thick, it has two inputs at the top because the 8V92 has two water pumps... It's also got a transmission oil cooler in the bottom.
Maybe you could get the dimensions of the core itself, I have a couple of cores and complete radiators for the MK48-
Info on the core's NSN 2930012070633 says 46.5" Width x 3" x 43.25" Height I'll measure them this weekend and confirm.
Complete radiator NSN 2930011816743 has 49.0" width x 13" x 56.25 Height the bottom tank might be the same, but top tank isn't for sure.

I remember the first time I had heard of the special government only material unobtanium was in a post from wreckerman about the Mk48 radiators a couple of years ago. The cores were $5,966 each and complete radiator $6,797 each.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blhar if possible take some pictures and measurements.

I am going to pull mine today and replace the tank gaskets.
I am almost sure that's where my leak is and out some good antifreeze back in

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 of the the tunes were blocked.
I have no clue how it was cooling.
I've clean and cleared all tubes.
I had 4 tubes leaking silver solder them closed on tank side.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a see truck with back hoe to lift it out.
The most important thing to check with all hemtt owners go check the 4 3/4 bolts holding fan blade on mine were loose and backing out.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK radiator is back in.
Tubes still leaking, put a crap load of stop leak in it no leaks.
Truck is cooling wayyyyyyy better.
Drove 45mins from Andy's home to mine and fan never came on water temp was steady 195 Trans was 175.

JDToumanian

It is better to use pepper than that stop leak junk for future reference.
Is that for real? I've heard that before but assumed it was nonsense. How does it work? How fine a grind? Normal pepper particles would seem too big. My radiator has a very slow pinhole leak, it loses about 1/2 gallon a month. I don't see how pepper would plug that...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is that for real? I've heard that before but assumed it was nonsense. How does it work? How fine a grind? Normal pepper particles would seem too big. My radiator has a very slow pinhole leak, it loses about 1/2 gallon a month. I don't see how pepper would plug that...
I thought so too. A guy I work for poured some in an 818 radiator and it quit leaking so I became a believer.

Out in the middle of no-where I had a work car start leaking at the plastic tank seam. I tried pepper and it got me back to the shop! It takes a bunch, like half of one of the pepper shakers on a restaurant table(add a little at a time), but it doesn't clog up the system like that stop leak stuff.

DrillerSurplus

I measured the core for the Mk48 radiator. It looks just like these photos. The rectangle as shown in photo #3 above is 7.75" wide x 49" long, bolt holes on 2" centers except near the corners where there are some extras. The core is about 43.5" tall. I have a complete PLS radiator and the core on it has the same measurements.
So, back to John's original post that started this thread, I think there is a fairly good chance the core from the MK48 or PLS would work for him. I still think it would probably be smart to get the parts vehicle.