• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 radiator

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys well I seem to have another project on my hands that was unplanned. A few weeks ago I noticed a coolant leak on my HEMTT it wasn't terrible or anything like that so I was on my way home and I was about half way on a 70 mile trip, I had a couple gallons of coolant with me so I dumped them in and was on my way. When I got home I drained the coolant and replaced all the old hoses with some really nice silicone hoses and good clamps and while I was in there I put new 180 degree thermostats, all is good now right!! WELL I thought so and last weekend I was at a car show about 75 miles North of me and about half way I stopped to check things out and had a coolant leak again, OBVIOUSLY it wasn't the hoses. I dumped a gallon of coolant in and made it to the car show no problem but it was continuing to be a fast drip out of where the radiator core attaches to the lower tank at the bottom of the radiator, there is a gasket between these two parts and thats where my leak is. Well I did something I have never done before because I hate band aid fixes but I but in Bahrs stop leak, it took 6 bottles of it but it stopped the leak during the show and till about 3/4 of the way home and the truck was running just above the final 240 degree notch on the gauge. So this is what I have, the truck to me is running warmer than it should be. I loaded the radiator with a load of crap that I dont like (stop leak) and I have a pretty good coolant leak going on! I dont want to do it but in your guys opinion I need to pull the radiator and get it boiled out, patched wherever necessary and reinstalled, thats my fix for this problem. What do you guys thing??

Any good alternative would be considered

Thanks much
Karl

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, time to remove that monster and take to an industrial radiator repair facility. Not a neighborhood radiator shop. Your radiator has clogged arteries.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks NDT you confirmed what I already (finally admit) knew. I looked at the TMs for radiator removal on this truck and they tell everything except how much this radiator weighs, do you have any clue? Thanks again NDT!!
Karl

Guyfang

Staff member
I am not a truck guy, but have helped remove at least 5 of these suckers. 350 is a good guess. In any case, overhead lift capability is a must. It's a good two man lift, and more. Dropping it is not good. Take your time putting it in, or you will poke another hole in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks