• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M988 upgrade to M1045A2? Is it worth it?

JetbikeAnt

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to purchase an M1045A2 for what I think is a reasonable price these days. Its a 2003 6.5 with 4 speed. For me I always wanted a Slant Back. The problem is I love my 1987 M998 and have done most of the work and all the maintenance myself. It is a badass Truck. I also have a lot of new spare parts for it.

Now the kicker. I most likely will have to sell her at some point to fund the purchase / restoration. Mt question is by going to the M1045A2 will there be that much of a difference when it comes to the drivability of the vehicle and shear enjoyment. I know many of you must have taken this same journey. Also are any of the parts interchangeable? I have three new half-shafts as an example. I look forward to hearing what you think. Thanks in advance!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
many/most of the spare parts should be interchangeable, but not things like half shafts or other things they upgraded for the A2 series. The A2 series uses 12k shafts, the A0 and A1 use 7 or 10k shafts.

the 6.5 engine should have a little more power, the differentials will be geared a little lower, and having a 4th speed in the transmission make a bit of difference, especially if you tow a trailer with it or any other extra weight.

Filters and fluids should all be the same, except the 6.5 needs oil filters with the anti-drainback valve in them, where the 6.2 didn't call for it (but was still a good idea to use)

The 1045A2 is 16 years newer, and many of the glaring issues with the early trucks (many taken care of my MWOs) are taken care of, as well as other upgrades. Some of the A2 parts end up more expensive (like the half shafts), but overall I think it's a wash.

The ability to go 60+ miles an hour without worrying about killing the engine is also nice.

rcamacho

If you are planning on highway driving the 4 speed transmission is more humane. Slightly less risk of getting rear ended if you can keep pace with the speed limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love my M1025A1 with 4 speed, if that is any help... BUT you will have leaks galore in the rain and snow.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
If you are planning on highway driving the 4 speed transmission is more humane. Slightly less risk of getting rear ended if you can keep pace with the speed limit.
Funny you say that... I always drive looking in the rear view mirror. Learned that 40 years ago with the M38A1, then M37, couple of CUCV's and now pokie HMMWV. Use the windshield going down hill, LOL

Not in hurry in the HumV, CAMO

springer1981

The question is do you NEED any of the updates? Do you NEED 12K shafts? Have you broken any of the ones you have now?

I have a M998 and I NEED a 4 speed. Although I have no intention of driving it on a highway I do want to be able to drive on primary roads that have 55 mph speed limits without people wanting to kill me. I will be upgrading my 3 speed to a 4 speed hopefully this year.

I might do some off roading but no rock climbing, no hell's pass, no devils canyon or any other extreme 4 wheeling. I don't need 12K shafts etc.

It comes down to what you NEED or what you WANT. Your choice.

JetbikeAnt

Hello All. I want to thank everyone for their input. It looks like I am making the trip down to see the vehicle tomorrow. After speaking with the owner its the only way I will be able to see what the true condition is. I'll let everyone know if the M1045A2 gets a new home or not. I know everyone likes pics, so here is the Buggy I'm looking at. Thanks again!

Attachments

JetbikeAnt

Hello Tobash. Yes, the Military removed the Turret. I was already thinking about reinstalling it if that is possible. If I do it will most likely leak, but I'm kinda used to that now. lol.

M1165A1

And there’s your reason to upgrade - the 6.5L turbo and 4 speed. I haven’t experienced a 6.2 but I have driven the 6.5 and find it quite powerful (this was in the Colorado Rockies, at altitude).

BLK HMMWV

Hello Tobash. Yes, the Military removed the Turret. I was already thinking about reinstalling it if that is possible. If I do it will most likely leak, but I'm kinda used to that now. lol.
Just take note that depending on how much of the turret support structure is missing you may need to factor in upwards of an additional 5K to open up the big hole that has been covered over in your roof. You already have the hatch and sponsons that helps.
Be prepared for both the roof and your wallet to leak in the future.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take note that depending on how much of the turret support structure is missing you may need to factor in upwards of an additional 5K to open up the big hole that has been covered over in your roof. You already have the hatch and sponsons that helps.
Be prepared for both the roof and your wallet to leak in the future.
Be prepared to spend $9k plus. Support cage. Bearings. Rings. Turret assembly. And a bit of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks