• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M997A2

johniz1967

Do All M997A2's have 12K hubs and need 12K half shafts and brake rotors even though it is rated at 10,300 GVWR?

I need a new rear half shaft and a few sites show the M997A2 in the fitment list for the 10 K half shaft.
Then on another site it shows the A2 in the fitment list for the 12k and the A2 is not in the fitment list for the 10k on that site.

I also read on a different forum:
Even though the A2 is 10.3 GVWR, it has 12k type geared hubs, vented 12in rotors, heavy half shafts, upgraded cross members, heavier upper and lower control arms and heavier frame rails.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All A2 variants are 12k drivetrain, and all are rated for 10,300 lbs.

What site is it that is showing you this information? Give us some links so we can figure out if/why it's wrong.

If in doubt, look in the parts manual. Every model has a UOC (Usable On Code) that should tell you exactly which parts belong on which model.

johniz1967

All A2 variants are 12k drivetrain, and all are rated for 10,300 lbs.

What site is it that is showing you this information? Give us some links so we can figure out if/why it's wrong.

If in doubt, look in the parts manual. Every model has a UOC (Usable On Code) that should tell you exactly which parts belong on which model.
Thank you for your reply. This forum is a great resource. The only manual I could find online is over 800 pages and I tried doing a search in that document but could not find what I was looking for.

The links below are for a 10K Half Shaft that list a M997A2 in the fitment list:

https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...ition-Halfshaft-Axle-Assembly-With-curve-Boot
https://midwestmilitaryequipment.com/replacement-10k-rear-half-shaft-lh-or-rh-12342974-1/

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your reply. This forum is a great resource. The only manual I could find online is over 800 pages and I tried doing a search in that document but could not find what I was looking for.

The links below are for a 10K Half Shaft that list a M997A2 in the fitment list:

https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...ition-Halfshaft-Axle-Assembly-With-curve-Boot
https://midwestmilitaryequipment.com/replacement-10k-rear-half-shaft-lh-or-rh-12342974-1/
Both Eastern and Midwest are wrong, those shafts are only for A0/A1 trucks. Going to a better site like HummerPartsGuy or Genuinehumveeparts (this one is the AM General website) will give you much better info.

Here are for the same part number you linked, showing it's not compatible.

Here are the 12k shaft where it says it's for your M997A2

One warning about the genuinehumveeparts website is, they will show something as in stock, but they really have them on hold until they have enough to fill a government contract, and then only after that will they release to the public again, so sometimes it can take months to get parts from them. Other than that they do have decent pricing for new items

johniz1967

Both Eastern and Midwest are wrong, those shafts are only for A0/A1 trucks. Going to a better site like HummerPartsGuy or Genuinehumveeparts (this one is the AM General website) will give you much better info.

Here are for the same part number you linked, showing it's not compatible.

Here are the 12k shaft where it says it's for your M997A2

One warning about the genuinehumveeparts website is, they will show something as in stock, but they really have them on hold until they have enough to fill a government contract, and then only after that will they release to the public again, so sometimes it can take months to get parts from them. Other than that they do have decent pricing for new items
Thank you for the great information.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the great information.
In the parts manual, when looking at the diagrams and part numbers, over to the right side of the part number you will see the "description and Usable On Codes. This is where you will find out what models that specific part went on. First though, you need to know what your UOC is. Near the beginning of the manual (after the table of contents) you will see the UOC list. For the M997A2 the code is "B15"

1719206131886.png

Going through the halfshaft pages, they have one for "A0/A1" and another for "A2" vehicles. Here's the parts list for the rear A2 shafts page for the rear halfshaft assembly, an you can see the "B15" is one of the UOC, so this is what belongs on your truck.

1719206433568.png

The A0/A1 page has a lot of UOC, but none are your B15.

1719206533225.png

Neither of those part numbers are what you linked earlier, because some parts will have multiple sources with multiple vendor part numbers listed. A website like Parttarget (there are other sites that will also show this info) will show you every part number associated with a particular NSN.
In this case your NSN for the rear halfshaft is 2520014214589

download (12).jpg
Not extremely useful in this case as you're unlikely to find it sold elsewhere under the other manufacturer part numbers, but for things like engine parts it's very common to find part numbers for a variety of manufacturers that may or may not come up as a cross in a local parts store (GM parts for example)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks