• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.2 Water pump/fan clutch help please

McSpeed

Hey guys - first post. I'm not understanding the instructions for how to get the fan clutch off a 1988 6.2 M998.

I pulled the cooling module as it needs cleaning, detail, etc. The water pump is shot.

I got the hydraulic link off (1/2 nut in the center).

I can't get the pulley to line up with the clutch bolts through the holes.

I need to get the clutch to disengage but don't understand how to do that,

What am I missing?

dilvoy

You can loosen the small bolts at the rear side of the hydraulic clutch a few turns then rap the assy with a plastic hammer to shock it a bit and then you should be able to hold the pulley and rotate the clutch as needed.

McSpeed

Awesome! I just went out there after reading this and saw the small bolts. I'm going to give that a shot in the morning.

Can I get a rebuild/seal kit for that unit somewhere as well?

I'm also thinking replacing the fan now might be a good idea. I've read stories of them breaking. Looks like a miserable job if all you were doing was the fan.

McSpeed

Got the bolt trick to work.

I also spent hours and hours pressure washing and cleaning the radiators as the were caked in mud. What a mess!!!!

Now that she is clean and drying I’m takinf a break. New pump will be here next week.

Still need to find a seal kit for that fan clutch. I’m afraid I buggered it up. Probably why the air trick wasn’t working.

NormB

Awesome! I just went out there after reading this and saw the small bolts. I'm going to give that a shot in the morning.
Can I get a rebuild/seal kit for that unit somewhere as well?
I'm also thinking replacing the fan now might be a good idea. I've read stories of them breaking. Looks like a miserable job if all you were doing was the fan.

Used to be kits available, there’s an NSN for them, no one seems to have them in stock.

I tried locating all the seals/bearings going by the parts list, found one part one place, two at another, bearings somewhere else, S&H plus parts and no o-rings was just too dauntingn a task, so I have a pretty large paperweight on hand, if I ever decide to give parts shopping a go again. Would be nice to rebuild one, just for fun, and a spare.

Norm

Action

Got the bolt trick to work.

I also spent hours and hours pressure washing and cleaning the radiators as the were caked in mud. What a mess!!!!

Now that she is clean and drying I’m takinf a break. New pump will be here next week.

Still need to find a seal kit for that fan clutch. I’m afraid I buggered it up. Probably why the air trick wasn’t working.
you may need a fin comb now after pressure washing the cooling stack.