• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 60 Amp to 200 Amp Generator Conversion - V-Belt Question?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hoarding parts for a 60 Amp to 200 Amp generator conversion and I need the knowledge of the collective again. This time, it is belt routing after the conversion. I bet there is someone here that has a 200 AMP generator with AC and can tell me how their v-belts route!

A "Normal" M998 with the 6.2 NA engine has four V-Belts. Let's label them as follows:
  1. V-Belt 1 - Closest to the block
  2. V-Belt 2 -
  3. V-Belt 3 -
  4. V-Belt 4 - Closest to the radiator

Now my M998 has an aftermarket AC, and they borrowed one of the v-belts to drive the AC. So this is what the engine currently uses:

1. V-Belt 1 - Drives the Water Pump, and Power Steering Pump
  2. V-Belt 2 - Drives the Water Pump, and AC compressor - I assume without AC, this belt would normally drive the Power Steering Pump
  3. V-Belt 3 - Drives the Water Pump, and the 60 Amp Generator
  4. V-Belt 4 - Drives the Water Pump, and the 60 Amp Generator

So here is my fist question. The 200 Amp generator pulley has a 3rd slot for another v-belt. I am told on this YouTube
that the kit comes with a new belt for this 3rd v-belt slot on the generator pulley and it replaces the v-belt closest to the block.

So how does the belt that goes on the 3rd slot route? I would assume it would have to also connect to the Power Steering, Water Pump and Crank. He indicated that this new belt in the kit goes closest to the block, which kind of confirms it would drive the 200 Amp Gen, Power Steering, Water Pump and Crank. Just looking to confirm.

Next I would like to figure out a way to drive the aftermarket AC with two belts instead of one. The compressor pulley has two v-belt slots. To make the belts line up, I would have to use the slots for V-Belt 3. That currently drives the water pump and the generator. I guess when I have everything mounted, I can measure to estimate a belt length to drive AC, water pump and generator on V-belt 3 and take the measurement to NAPA and see what they have that is close?

Does the above sound good?

Thanks in advance.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock 200 AMP Generator uses the outer 3 V-Belts. If I was going to share a belt, it would be the 1st power steering belt (if possible).

You really want to drive the generator with 3 full belts.

As for routing, the outer 3 belts are all water pump, hydraulic pump and generator. I'd be reluctant to get a longer built for the inner generator one. However a longer one for the hydraulic pump, water pump should be doable (assuming you can adjust the pulley on the AC condensor and there is enough room for routing.)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red dot ac kit has a new water pump pulley with extra groove for an additional v belt for compressor.

Red dot sanden compressor only use one belt.

No need to have 2 belts on ac imho
Just leave one open that does not align with anything else.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hoarding parts for a 60 Amp to 200 Amp generator conversion and I need the knowledge of the collective again. This time, it is belt routing after the conversion. I bet there is someone here that has a 200 AMP generator with AC and can tell me how their v-belts route!

A "Normal" M998 with the 6.2 NA engine has four V-Belts. Let's label them as follows:
  1. V-Belt 1 - Closest to the block
  2. V-Belt 2 -
  3. V-Belt 3 -
  4. V-Belt 4 - Closest to the radiator

Now my M998 has an aftermarket AC, and they borrowed one of the v-belts to drive the AC. So this is what the engine currently uses:

1. V-Belt 1 - Drives the Water Pump, and Power Steering Pump
  2. V-Belt 2 - Drives the Water Pump, and AC compressor - I assume without AC, this belt would normally drive the Power Steering Pump
  3. V-Belt 3 - Drives the Water Pump, and the 60 Amp Generator
  4. V-Belt 4 - Drives the Water Pump, and the 60 Amp Generator

So here is my fist question. The 200 Amp generator pulley has a 3rd slot for another v-belt. I am told on this YouTube
that the kit comes with a new belt for this 3rd v-belt slot on the generator pulley and it replaces the v-belt closest to the block.

So how does the belt that goes on the 3rd slot route? I would assume it would have to also connect to the Power Steering, Water Pump and Crank. He indicated that this new belt in the kit goes closest to the block, which kind of confirms it would drive the 200 Amp Gen, Power Steering, Water Pump and Crank. Just looking to confirm.

Next I would like to figure out a way to drive the aftermarket AC with two belts instead of one. The compressor pulley has two v-belt slots. To make the belts line up, I would have to use the slots for V-Belt 3. That currently drives the water pump and the generator. I guess when I have everything mounted, I can measure to estimate a belt length to drive AC, water pump and generator on V-belt 3 and take the measurement to NAPA and see what they have that is close?

Does the above sound good?

Thanks in advance.
The third belt for the pulley is the one you are using for your AC not the not closest one to the block.
normally it would be
1 water pump and PS
2,3,4 for the ps pump water pump and alt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks