• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 drivetrain issues please help !

Mikei998

So my m998 started acting up recently . It started with a new vibration and when I let off the gas to come to a stop I get a pounding sound . Doesn’t act up right away . Needs a couple miles then is really bad . Let off the gas and the pounding sound starts until you come to a stop . Any ideas ?

DREDnot

My first thought with drivetrain noise that is affected by letting off the throttle would be U-joints/center bearing.
Mine had a ringing squeak that matched driveshaft speed under a medium acceleration. Greased all the joints. They seemed in good condition but when I replaced both front and rear shaft assemblies with NOS spicer made surplus shafts, the noise went away and it runs smoother now.

DSCN8974.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree it could be drive shaft related, but of course you also have 4 half shafts, and 2 differentials to consider, most folks can tell the difference between drive shaft speed vibration and wheel speed vibration, of course the half shafts are twisting at twice the speed of the wheels.
Chock the wheels, release the park brake and crawl under there and push-pull-twist on all the shafts (cold of course) and see if you can find anything with slack, look for rust colored dust around the u-joints and support bearing, check the flange bolts where the half shafts bolt to the differentials.

This does sound like a "worry" noise and you should get a handle on it as a loose shaft (as in get loose) can cause a ton of damage.

On the other hand having to warm up sounds like possibly a diff. Of course the diffs and gear hubs have been serviced yes? make sure there is no excessive play on any of the three differential shafts on both diffs.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks