• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Front Winch Bumper Options...

WAGNUM

I purchased a front winch bumper like the one in the pic below. Pic #1
$_57.jpg

Problem, I didn't realize that apparently I need 4 other related brackets (that aren't cheap) to mount it correctly. Also, the fairlead slot seems narrow (maybe Warn had a narrow drum and the capacity sucked?) So now I'm thinking I just paid to ship a heavy "conversation piece" across this great nation.

Found a mile marker winch bumper on-line for around $145. Does the mile marker front winch bumper require any other brackets to properly mount up on a M998? (From pics it looks like it just bolts up...) I've seen the mile marker style brush guards, but can I use my stock M998 brush guard and its original brackets?

This pic below is kinda what I was thinking. Looks like it should work?
361427689311_1.jpg

Next question: Winches are expensive! (Actually, that was a statement...) Smittybilt winches seem to be cheap and not total crap? Is it easier and cheaper to just buy an electric 12v winch, put an extra battery in my truck (I have 200amp alt with 12v output) or try and find an auction mile marker hydraulic winch (an end up having even more question trying to hook it up and re-bleed the PS system)?

Does anyone know of a cheap / easy / clean way to put a winch on a HMMWV that won't see a lot of use?

Thx,

WAGNUMaua

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

The mikemarker winch does require two brackets plus the winch bumper itself. I think I paid $85 for the pair of brackets.

You will also need the hydraulic lines that plumb the mile marker winch into the hydroboost system. As well as the electrical controls for the winch itself.

Unless you already have the 200 amp dual output alternator check into the cost of conversion on that as well. That can be pretty pricy too. Plus a battery and mount plus you have to cobble some sort of bumper to hold the winch.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic links don't work.
Sounds like you have a 6 k winch plate, which uses two brackets.
The 9K plate has a big square hole, and uses 4 brackets.
9k, and 6K warn winches have a different bolt pattern.
I have most of the brackets for both.

WAGNUM

86humv: Would the frame extension brackets work with both bumpers? i.e.. 6k winch plate and the mile marker

Also, the mile marker winch bumper looks like it could handle a higher rated winch load because the bottom of it bolts onto each of the lower control arms? If I go with a 12,000 lbs winch, would the 6k winch plate and brackets handle it? (Or is this a stupid question because 6k plate mean 6000 lbs max load rating?) How heavy of a winch do I really need for a M998 soft top with nothing in it? I would think more is better but if I get really stuck I don't want to rip the front of my truck off...

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't use milemarker stuff with 6 or 9k stuff.
6k and 9k mounts are plenty strong enough for even a heavier truck.
Those 6 and 9k warn winches will handle more than they say.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no electric winches in HMMWV's anymore...they are all Milemarker.
so it's hydraulic...no need for a 200amp generator. The nice thing about Milemarker is duty cycle, it's endless...the warns have a duty cycle that can limit you.
if you pr not going to use a winch that often, install a hitch front and rear and go electric so you can swap it from front to rear as needed, just wire up the quick disconnects....I had some HMMWV's here at the shop setup that way.

WAGNUM

WARHOSS: Great idea, could you please post or PM some picks of those HMMWV's with that setup. Actually just need to see how the front hitch was installed... thanks

DanM7890

WARHOSS: Great idea, could you please post or PM some picks of those HMMWV's with that setup. Actually just need to see how the front hitch was installed... thanks
I'm interested as well. Would like to see pictures of this setup. Are you talking like the same way you can do it on civi vehicles. I had one for the truck that sits in a cradle and you just move it front to back.

WAGNUM

Just to clarify, I have a dual 24v/ 12v 200 amp alt. My basic understanding is if I choose to get an off the shelf 12v winch, I'd need to install a separate 12v battery in my truck somewhere (hopefully in the engine bay. Any recommendations on a good spot?) Figure out where to pull the 12v power from the alt and run + to battery, and then 12v lead from batt to front and possibly rear of truck. Seems straight forward. Thoughts?

Dock Rocker

I don't think there is a military setup for the front hitch. I think that's going to have go be fabricated. It would not be difficult. I would use a hydraulic winch bumper and fab up a mount inside for a receiver.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like dock rocker's idea. Receiver tube is about $10. Mounting it should be a trivial exercise in welding.

I see no reason to go with a 12v winch. No advantage whatsoever. Warn 24v winches are so cheap and readily available that there shouldn'teven be a price advantage. The last NOS 18k warn I bought was $500.

I had a whole pallet of the milemarker hydraulic winches, new in crate. Took me forever to sell them at $700ish each.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I just picked up one of the 18,000 pound warns the other day new in crate for about that much. I am going to Fab up a mount to use it as a rear winch. I was struggling finding all the hardware to mount a hydraulic winch to the rear so I'm just going to make my own.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested as well. Would like to see pictures of this setup. Are you talking like the same way you can do it on civi vehicles. I had one for the truck that sits in a cradle and you just move it front to back.
sorry, no pics...those trucks were stripped down and restored, all 4 of them.
who ever did the mod just basically fabbed up a receiver hitch for the front as he did in the rear and would plug a receiver mounted winch into the hitch, they must have been 24v as the wiring ran front to rear with the quick disconnect and terminated on the ground shunt and starter POS stud along the inside of the body.
im told they were mining trucks...

on on another note, I would not use the 12v tap off the 14/24v 200amp gen....that feed was not made for the
at type of draw...IMO. What it's there for is the trans controller and Some of the factory A/C stuff.

i personally install, use and have Milemarker mil issue 24v winches, my 98 Hummer H1 has a Warn.
I have installed several rear mounted milemarkers, those are IMO, quite cool and in my experience have served me more often then a front mounted winch...but that's just me.

Dock Rocker

i personally install, use and have Milemarker mil issue 24v winches, my 98 Hummer H1 has a Warn.
I have installed several rear mounted milemarkers, those are IMO, quite cool and in my experience have served me more often then a front mounted winch...but that's just me.
It's way easier to back out of a problem than to drag yourself through it and then turn around and drag yourself back through it to get home.