• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 hmmwv brake vibration

Bolger

Hey gang,
I've got a 1993 m998 hmmwv.. When the engine reaches operating temp I've noticed a awful vibration noise when I hit the brakes. The information I have says this can be caused by a low steering pump reservoir. I added a little to the full mark but the problem still exists. They only thing I've done so far is that I've changed the drive belts and I had to disconnect the hydraulic line to the fan motor. Has anyone else had this problem? Could any of you point me into the right direction? Thank you

dmetalmiki

Sound like something is loose in the suspension, If there is vibration when the brakes are applied, then logically there is a loose or broken component in the braking system, (shocks? disc pads/ mountings?..even the driveline) somewhere in that region)

Bolger

Sound like something is loose in the suspension, If there is vibration when the brakes are applied, then logically there is a loose or broken component in the braking system, (shocks? disc pads/ mountings?..even the driveline) somewhere in that region)
it doesn't happen every time any thoughts

ryanruck

Maybe consider getting the rotors machined or replaced as well as replacing the brake pads.

You might have "hot spots" on the rotors from brake pad deposits or impurities (like oil) in the pads.

It will also give you a chance to examine your calipers to make sure you don't have any cracks in the pistons, none are sticking (causing uneven braking application), and the seals and boots look okay.

Not a very expensive repair to make anyway even if it doesn't eliminate it and you've got peace of mind of new brakes. Personally, from experience, that's where I'd start.

kc5mzd

Do you have oil or transmission fluid for the power steering fluid? I might try draining about 1 quart and adding Lucas - auto trans fluid additive or synthetic oil additive depending on what you are already using in the system.

Bolger

Maybe consider getting the rotors machined or replaced as well as replacing the brake pads.

You might have "hot spots" on the rotors from brake pad deposits or impurities (like oil) in the pads.

It will also give you a chance to examine your calipers to make sure you don't have any cracks in the pistons, none are sticking (causing uneven braking application), and the seals and boots look okay.

Not a very expensive repair to make anyway even if it doesn't eliminate it and you've got peace of mind of new brakes. Personally, from experience, that's where I'd start.
Could you send me a link or manual to preform this procedure...

Bolger

Thanks for the info.. Do you have a link for a teardown replacement manual? I couldn't find anything online. I've never changed brakes on one of these and I'm still learning.

ryanruck

Could you send me a link or manual to preform this procedure...
TM 9-2320-280-20-2, Section 7-9. SERVICE BRAKE ROTOR REPLACEMENT (page 759 in my PDF)

It's pretty easy. Just make sure you've got new Grade 8 lockwashers or Nord-Lock washers (or just get 4 of these), a torque wrench, and Red Loctite to reinstall everything. Make sure everything is torqued to spec.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of my M998s make more noise from the gear hubs when the brakes are applied.
If it was something to do with the brake booster/hydraulic system it should also show up when not moving and applying the brakes.
I would just inspect all the rotors/pads and if it stops OK then just drive it until you get used to the many different things about a HMMWV.
Also inspect the half shaft boots and the half shaft/rotor bolts, this should be only one of the MANY inspections that should be done on any HMMWV when you get one and before you drive it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks