• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 made it home safely

alpine44

Picked up my M998 (6.2L) yesterday from a IP storage yard close to Hill AFB, Utah and drove it back to Bozeman, MT. (EUC took only 1 month, possibly since my name was on file from previous approval).

The truck ran great for the 380 miles except vibration from the tires and the cooling fan cycling when going above 50 mph. I took the rear cover and arches off and ran it as a "pick-up" without the rear curtain. That made the 85 degree weather pleasant. Today we used it as a mobile gazebo with the sides and rear rolled up. Just needs a picnic table between the troop benches.

Does anyone have softer springs for the rear or a source for them? The current ones put the wheels in a odd-looking positive camber.

20160821_142736.jpg 20160821_142759.jpg

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking rig alpine! I'm glad the recovery went smoothly. I'd leave the rear springs alone if you ever plan to haul any weight. I'm not sure on a source for softer ones.

teteacher101

I don't think all of the positive camber is coming from your springs. Take a look at the upper control arm where it bolts to the frame, there is probably shims between the frame and upper control arm mounting flanges. Let us know what you find.

alpine44

I don't think all of the positive camber is coming from your springs. Take a look at the upper control arm where it bolts to the frame, there is probably shims between the frame and upper control arm mounting flanges. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, there are two shims between the frame and the upper control arm bracket on both sides. The shim facing out has slots on the top and it may be possible to slide it out without removing all bolts completely.

The truck sits pretty level (just a little nose down) right now. Should I leave the rear springs alone and play with the shims until the rear tires are straight?

teteacher101

That's what I would do, is remove the shims an see how it sits then. I have the same problem actually an have to remove my shims yet but I'm holding off till my pitman an idler arm come in as I'm going to do it all at my buddy's shop since he has an alignment machine-so then I'll replace all the parts, remove the shims, do an alignment, etc., all in one shot.

Action

the shims with slots on top will fall out when you loosen the bolts. The other one will not come out unless you remove the bolts.

alpine44

the shims with slots on top will fall out when you loosen the bolts. The other one will not come out unless you remove the bolts.
Thanks. I was hoping the bottom shims would have slots the other way and would slide upwards.

Let's see whether removing the slotted shims will be enough to get the wheels close to vertical.

alpine44

one of the manuals gives degrees of slope that change with the thickness of shims. I have seen 2 thicknesses of those shims.
Thanks, I will search the manuals for that and check with caliper and digital level how much I have to remove.

(Sorry, I am a little behind reading the manuals; thought I would have a longer EUC wait for studying.)

infidel got me

1 MONTH turn around on a euc-- you lucky dog-- I ONLY WISH I HAD THAT PROBLEM!

I know its not your first euc, just messin with you. Nice looking truck--check your hubs and bearings (for safety)

Planning any mods?

alpine44

...Planning any mods?
For the hunting season I will use it unmodified as a simple mobile camp by just throwing a small folding table, a blow-up mattress, and storage tubs in the rear.

Later in the year, I will install a Webasto cab heater that was collecting dust for years since it's for 24 Volts. The heater will be wired to another set of batteries, installed in the rear passenger well and connected to the main batteries via an isolator. That should get me through the Montana winter.

Last edited: