• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 passenger side parking brake cable replacement "CLIP"

AOR

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the clip that secures the parking brake cable into the crossmember above the muffler without removing the muffler?
I believe my passenger side cable is stretched and I am planning to replace it because its not pulling the caliper actuator lever as far as the drivers side is and I can move the actuator with a pry bar and it holds the wheel from turning
both sides driver and passenger seem to have about the same resistance using a pry bar but the equalizer bar is closer to the crossmember when the parking brake is applied so I am baffled
the drivers side cable does lock the wheel and hold the Vehcile I just would like to have both sides working for a piece of mind and I still plan on using clock blocks because I do not trust parking brakes in general
just to clarify these pictures I took on my lift with my phone up above the muffler with the parking brake applied. notice the equalizer is closer to the crossmember closer to the drive shaft and if I took a picture of the actuator on the caliper it does not move away from the stop as far as the drivers side does so its not traveling as much as it needs to hold the wheel from turning any help is appreciated thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

AOR

Today I replaced both rear parking brake cables and the parking brake works great now. My assumption of a stretched cable was correct. Both caliper parking brake levers now move all the way through their travel. Unfortunately I did decide to remove the muffler which I hope to never do again.

kestrelnh

Yes, I hear you about the muffler. I pulled it when I replaced my brake cables a few weeks ago. It wasn't TERRIBLE to do, but made what would have a been a very quick job into a much longer one. I put the newer style parking brake cable holders that attach to the lower control arms on mine. They have two clamps instead of one. The issue with mine was the brake cables weren't moving freely and the parking brakes weren't releasing themselves. I have a suspicion they got crushed by the control arms when the single cable clamp on each side broke and the cables were left to flop around.

AOR

Please post pics of the double clamp setup. I purchased my hmmwv from a private seller but I am pretty sure it sat for a long time possibly several years. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the clip out then decided to order the drivers side cable, new clips and a new muffler gasket and do both cables at the same time. No the muffler was not terrible to remove/replace some of the hardware was rusty and made the job literally painful.

kestrelnh

Please post pics of the double clamp setup. I purchased my hmmwv from a private seller but I am pretty sure it sat for a long time possibly several years. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the clip out then decided to order the drivers side cable, new clips and a new muffler gasket and do both cables at the same time. No the muffler was not terrible to remove/replace some of the hardware was rusty and made the job literally painful.

They are part numbers 12342965 (rh) and 12342966 (lh). It looked like I was trying to cut my wrists after that job.

clips.jpg

Last edited:

AOR

Thanks for posting those. My 86 already has those on it. Mine was overhauled in 2007 and came to me with about 3500 miles on the odometer. The parking brake system was also upgraded then
It was from the National Guard so I am assuming it spent most of its time sitting which is not good for any vehicle. I also replaced several leaking seals.
the equalizer bar still favors to the passenger side and now the drivers side would not fully engage until I adjusted the handle more. I am curious if others favor to the passenger side as well?
It would be nice if they put individual adjusters on each rear cable. I put the HMMWV on a very steep hill I have here and it held the vehicle from rolling and it holds while in gear
I am still going to be keeping chock blocks in the vehicle.

kestrelnh

Thanks for posting those. My 86 already has those on it. Mine was overhauled in 2007 and came to me with about 3500 miles on the odometer. The parking brake system was also upgraded then
It was from the National Guard so I am assuming it spent most of its time sitting which is not good for any vehicle. I also replaced several leaking seals.
the equalizer bar still favors to the passenger side and now the drivers side would not fully engage until I adjusted the handle more. I am curious if others favor to the passenger side as well?
It would be nice if they put individual adjusters on each rear cable. I put the HMMWV on a very steep hill I have here and it held the vehicle from rolling and it holds while in gear
I am still going to be keeping chock blocks in the vehicle.
I THINK mine engages together, more or less.

I always chock mine if there is any slope whatsoever that might send it somewhere bad. I recall there have been a few incidents at shows/displays where someone has knocked the parking brake off on a parkless HMMWV and the truck has done damage or hurt someone. I'd feel terrible if some kid climbed into mine and knocked the parking brake off and someone got hurt.

AOR

My lever has some type of metal contraption on it with a hose clamp and electrical tape were it cannot be released without lifting the contraption first. I was going to replace the lever with a newer style with the push button but after thinking more about it this seems to be the safest setup especially because we sometimes bring our vehicles to truck touches where kids are inside of the vehicles having their pictures taken. It may also add some antitheft security. One of my good friends thought his parking brake worked on his Cherokee and even with the tire up against the a tree when he came back to his Jeep it was upside down with a pregnant lady inside of it. Luckily everyone was ok. I have seen the aftermath of people trusting their parking brakes multiple times and learned not to trust them.

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gizmo was the intern solution to the non locking parking brake. Not sure of tape or hose clamp?

I bumped my parking brake installing radio trays. Truck rolled backwards even here in flat land. Minor scrape on wife's suv bumper. Very easy to knock forward.

Locking parking brake handle is the first safety upgrade I strongly recommend.

Last edited:

AOR

I thought maybe the guy I purchased the truck from put the hose clamp on it and electrical tape but I have seen a few more with the same setup
I am planning to replace mine with something like this - https://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=1d025ej
here is a picture of someone else's HMMWV from the recent Aberdeen show to confirm the hose clamp and I have seen others with electrical tape over the hose clamp to prevent wounds to the hand or fingers.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe the clamp and tape act like a bump stop so it can't be pulled off easily. Acts like a sliding mechanical lock. The hmmwv locking brake handles can be easily found. I have seen them range from $50-$100

AOR

Correct it prevents the red metal part from being lifted off of the brake lever. At this time I prefer to keep this style I have not used the newer style yet but I think this would be more reliable with less parts to fail. I guess it has grown on me.
I was looking for a new style lever and found some broken ones online where the button release system failed My daily driver is a 2014 Ram 2500 Limited Cummins truck and it has so many creature comforts and electronic modules I don't think it has gone more than 1500 miles since I have owned it for the past 1.5 years without something breaking or emission issues I am really enjoying how simple and spartan the HMMWV is.

Last edited:

Starlight

Same here guys, and thanks for this thread ! I was wondering how in the hell I was going to get the passenger side park brake cable replaced. So you DO have to remove the muffler . Ugh, here we go ... Thanks again , Capt.T/ Palm Beach Troop Support

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks