• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Pics

Elohim1

Here are a few shots of my newly acquired M998.:mrgreen:

It appears to be in real good shape and runs well.
I still need to attach the pipe to the exhaust for fording.

Would not mind having a winch and all necessary items for a ring mount to attach the M2HB.

Leads would be appreciated, as well as expected cost for these items.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a super nice looking truck Chris. If I make it back up to Ohio, can I get a ride?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disagree on the winch....there is a reason the goverment dumped all the MM winches folks.
One complaint I hear both in the military and on the trails is if your motor ain't running....you got no winch, in the military this can happen with fording gone wrong. Another is that the RPM's have to be elevated to get power out the winch which requires 2 people now, also blown PS pumps is another.....not saying either on of these is a sole reason, but a combination of them. I have heard of premature motor burnout on the Warn.....I personally have had both, I prefer the warn.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Chris, if you ever get down this way, I think I have some parts for you. Mostly stupid stuff like ball joints etc., but I have no use for them...

Elohim1

Chris, if you ever get down this way, I think I have some parts for you. Mostly stupid stuff like ball joints etc., but I have no use for them...
Will do. You still at the same place ?

I did get a mile marker winch for the humvee. I have the hand controller but am missing the plug controller/wiring harness it plugs into. Anyone have one ? I will contact mile marker if not.

Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the heck. I work at a fairly large employer in Oxford (I'm sure you know which one) and I have never seen it around town. :)

I drove my 5-ton to work a couple of Fridays ago and invited anyone in our department to stop by and see it. Co-workers came out and got pics.

It would have been nice to have a 998 sitting next to it. :)

Augi

I have the milemarker installed on my truck and I like it a lot. It is 100% duty cycle, so no waiting around all the time for it to cool off. It just pulls and pulls all day long. It also fits between the frame rails so the approach angle is not impacted. True, you need the truck to be running, but I've never had to run a high idle to get the desired power out of it and I've winched out of some tight spots (plus, you have a hand throttle if you need it). The biggest problem I had was chocking the wheels when recovering another vehicle. You can't step on the brakes because the brakes are ahead of the winch in the hydraulic circuit and that WILL reduce the power to the winch significantly. You have to come up with a good way to chock the wheels. As for blown PS pumps, I haven't had that problem yet.

Overall I see the duty cycle and the approach angle as the most important benefits because I've taken the truck places where I had to winch for a long time, and places where I would have hit the electric winch on an obstacle. If I suck water into the intake and the engine locks up, I'll have bigger problems then not being able to run the winch.

Augi

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can secure the rear of the truck via cable,chain, come along to a tree, you won't require chaukling the wheels, but each recovery and environment will dictate what is feasible. MM winches are good....there is always trade offs.
ifmyour happy with it...,that's all that matters. Approach angle is and has always been one of the biggest issues.

Elohim1

What the heck. I work at a fairly large employer in Oxford (I'm sure you know which one) and I have never seen it around town. :)

I drove my 5-ton to work a couple of Fridays ago and invited anyone in our department to stop by and see it. Co-workers came out and got pics.

It would have been nice to have a 998 sitting next to it. :)
Next time give me a heads up. I live in the outskirts of Oxford, near Darrtown.

TedG

In studying the pictures closer, I did not own that one. Whoever did it, did a nice job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks