• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Shifts Early

brazengoat06

I have a new to me M998 that shifts entirely too early. im in 3rd at 15mph. My first thought is to check the modulator and vacuum source however it looks like the vacuum hose is made onto the modulator. anyways hoping for some thoughts. thanks

Katavic918

Seems normal to me. Under light to normal acceleration they shift into 3rd very early. Now if you put it to the floor and it shifts into 3rd at 15mph then you might have a problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second Katavic918's description. Mine will shift as late as 28-30MPH but only if I have the go pedal mashed to the floor. I posted somewhere about it myself after getting my beast running and road-worthy and was told the same thing. In my case giving it an Italian Tune up seemed to help a little. That's where you push it hard, to a higher performance than normal driving. Not exceeding limits, just pushing harder than normal and making it work for a change.

I tried but couldn't find that thread. It isn't one I started.

If you have not changed your fluids and filter, I recommend you do that ASAP. Only then is the trans getting a more reasonable assessment.

Bulldogger

brazengoat06

thats very interesting thanks, that being said has anyone thought to change out the governor to allow it to have a different shift pattern

Carrera911

Make sure the throttle cable doesn't have any slack. Mine would only open 2/3 when I got my truck and not only was it not giving the engine full fuel but it wouldn't engage the kickdown switch. Mash it from a stop and it'll wind out the gears approx 30 in first and 50 in second. At half throttle acceleration it probably hits 3rd at 20-25

Katavic918

I don't think mine has ever been in first. I think I hit second once. It loves third gear so I just leave it there. I get what you're saying though. When I first got mine I thought something was wrong. I also think it would be way more drivable if it would wind out a little more between shifts. I sometimes drop the gearshift into second if I need to but other than that I let it do its thing. I think of the transmission as a sort of CVT.

Behr

For this very reason, anytime I'm at a red light on a steep hill I shift manually. Otherwise my rig likes to shift to third on the way up and blow a little black smoke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks