• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 speedometer

Usmcsteve

When I received my 1993 m998the speedo was not working. When I removed the speedo gear from the transfer case I found the pin to be broken. Bought a new gear and pin researched how to index the adapter in the case and got it all tightened down. Went to drive and he vehicle still no speedo. Removed the gear again and attached a drill as I have read on earlier posts. While spinning the drill the speedo would move. I have no idea where to go from here. Any help is appreciated

Daves86

Just went thru this same issue this week. There is an alignment indicator on the housing (Pinion Adapter) that fits into the transfer case and another mark the case. It took 4 tries for me to get it aligned. Basically if you have the orange 37 tooth gear you align the 36-38 mark to the dot on the top of the case.
TM 9-2320-280-20-2 Section 5-24 on 5-50 gives the procedure, but like I said it took me 4 tries to get the alignment correct.
Make sure the pinion is fully seated into the case and that the clamp fits into the slots on the pinion.

Good Luck. Remember breathe in, breathe out. And colorful metaphors make you sound like you know what you are doing.

Usmcsteve

Just went thru this same issue this week. There is an alignment indicator on the housing (Pinion Adapter) that fits into the transfer case and another mark the case. It took 4 tries for me to get it aligned. Basically if you have the orange 37 tooth gear you align the 36-38 mark to the dot on the top of the case.
TM 9-2320-280-20-2 Section 5-24 on 5-50 gives the procedure, but like I said it took me 4 tries to get the alignment correct.
Make sure the pinion is fully seated into the case and that the clamp fits into the slots on the pinion.

Good Luck. Remember breathe in, breathe out. And colorful metaphors make you sound like you know what you are doing.
Thanks for the response I finally got it figured out as I thought I had it aligned properly but after taking a picture of it to see the markings I found I was completely off. After I got it in right I took another picture to confirm. Now it’s just on to cleaning and fixing the leaks. These things are like boats never ending projects lol.

Attachments

Daves86

You'll know when the clamp goes on how close you are. The clamp ends drop into the quarter recesses and the bolt lines up, if not you can use the clamp to turn the pinion housing the last bit to get the bolt to go in.

Enjoy the project and welcome to the madness!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks