• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Startup Precautions after sitting for 7 years

GMVguy

Picking up a HMMWV today. Finally. I read the sticky about maintenance, but still need some guidance on precautions to take after it's been sitting for so long. 7 years based on the mileage reports. I know the batteries are dead and may not be reparable, but the truck slave starts well. There's some fuel in the tank. Should it be drained and refilled? How about other fluids, hoses, filters, etc?

Any No thanks. recommendations to get this baby back in service would be appreciated.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd do a full service on fluids and filters... you don't know what has possibly gotten into it. These were not stored in a nice climate controlled environment, they were shoved into motorpools and left to sit.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All fluids, drain the fuel tank....buy a new fuel tank plug and install new.
not uncommon for trucks that sit that long that the injecotor pump get gummed up...so at some point, if you get s no start, open the IJ lines and see if you are getting fuel while cranking.