• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Tailgate Spare tire carrier

BLK HMMWV

After about 20-30 feet the sound of your tail gate vibrating / bouncing back and forth would drive you crazy.
That and anytime you wanted to open the tail gate you would be getting a workout lifting the tire.
Of course that is just my opinion.

MaverickH1

No thanks.

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it also looks like it would need to be taken off to lower the tailgate to 90 degrees down.

Action

Is that a one man job putting that tire up there? I can roll a tire up a board into the bed, but I probably couldn't lift it and get it on those two bolts.
If it is only $20, let us know how well it works out.

goldneagle

I think 2 people would have a workout trying to get a HMMWV tire with runflat inside to line up with those 2 bolts and secure the tire. (125 pounds without the runflat)

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing looks dangerous.....all the weight on the bolts in a shear condition...no thanks.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the Gypsy rack tailgate style available with 2 gas can mounts.
DSC_0870.jpg

BLK HMMWV

Most people are doing the airlift rear bumper upgrade. from there they either install the rhino spare tire carrier.
Or the older style swing out carrier with matching swing out fuel carrier.