• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Turbo Upgrade - BMI Commander™ 6500 Turbo Kit

BMI

Supporting Vendor
This upcoming week, we will begin another install of the BMI Commander™ Turbo kit on a customer's truck.
Most of our turbo kits are sold and installed through our dealers, but sometimes there is not a dealer close to where a customer lives or the customer would rather have us install the kit in conjunction with other modifications. Many people interested in the kit/s have been asking for video and pictures of kits installed on customer's trucks, so our intention with this thread is to show examples of the before and after power and responsiveness differences and how the kit looks and functions once installed, along with some pictures of uniquely modified M998's.
More pictures and videos of the BMI Commander Turbo kit installed on 6.2 and 6.5 HMMWV 's can be seen on our website: https://www.6-5liter.com/customer-photos-and-videos/

Attachments

BMI

Supporting Vendor
Raw footage of a "Drag Race" style acceleration comparison of 2 M998's - One truck has the BMI Commander™ Turbo kit added to its naturally-aspirated 6.5, the other truck does not (it still has the un-modified naturally-aspirated 6.5). The results are obvious. While the HMMWV was never intended to shine in straight-line acceleration, this comparison illustrates the real-world difference in power and responsiveness when the turbo kit is added. The advantage is especially noticeable in the "off-the-line" first few seconds of the race, and that type of improved throttle response is very usable in normal driving conditions.
In addition, you can see the turbo truck continues to pull-away and increase it's lead for as long as the comparison lasts.

Videos here, in two parts:

Last edited:

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff thanks for doing this!

Just so everyone doesn't think Jeff is shamelessly plugging his kit LOL, I asked him to take some videos and pictures for me, including befores and afters. So I asked Jeff if it was OK and if he didn't mind, to start this thread.

Patracy inspired me to go for the kit and I like how he documented it........so I figured lets do it again. Thanks Patracy.

I have to really compliment Jeff on his professionalism and work-ethic. He has been awesome at communicating (texting, phone calls, emails). He went way above and beyond in accepting the transport of the truck as it unexpectedly arrived a day late (on a Sunday). He never complained. If you have the opportunity to work with Jeff/BMI I would highly recommend based on my experience so far. I have to say that I reached out to several well known builders to do some work (including considering this) and they either didn't respond responded poorly. I just don't get it......why run a business like that?

I will post up the build of this m998 in another thread if people are interested. It was in Opelika, AL and all the work was done by a gentleman named "Greg H". I live in the midwest so I figured I'd have it visit Bostic, NC and get the kit.

This truck has the 6.5 GEP NA with the later tranny. I've driven them before, and while not horrible they just didn't have enough for me. This truck will mostly be for intermediate overlanding and some soft offroading. I wanted something that could do 70 mph comfortably and do 'on ramps' and traffic merging without worries.

I really liked the research and quality that went into this kit. I like the fact that it is 'bolt on' as it allows me to take it off easily if it goes bad or needs servicing.

BMI

Supporting Vendor
Thanks Nikojo, .......... we got excited about the turbo and getting the chance to do an install on this truck... my apologies if we came across as anything but informational :naner:

BMI

Supporting Vendor
Install Done: Here are some pictures of the turbo kit as installed on nikojo's truck. He asked us to powdercoat the airbox and air intake plenum a medium gray, which we think looks great! These components can be painted or powdercoated as desired by the installer. This M998 had an engine from a 2005 A2 truck and this was the first time we installed our kit on a serpentine belt equipped engine. We were pleasantly surprised that the only modification necessary to the kit components was to re-work the oil drain tube from the turbo to clear the belt tensioner; pictures attached of that minor modification. It looks like the A/C compressor would also fit with little or no modifications to this turbo / serpentine belt setup.
As expected, driveability and overall power were significantly improved with the addition of the turbo.

Attachments

BMI

Supporting Vendor
Great question! ... Its closer to a 25-30° angle,.. but good eye,.... here's the skinny on that.... the M998 can be equipped with two different types of overflow tanks that have two different configurations for where the main coolant outlet comes out of the tank body. One tank has the outlet on the bottom, the other tank has the outlet on the end. The tanks (as paired with their associated molded rubber coolant lines) are interchangeable, but if the truck is equipped with the tank that has the outlet on the bottom and the end user decides not replace that style with the side outlet-tank, then the bottom-outlet tank can be retained if it is angled slightly (as seen in the picture). This angle has a negligible effect on capacity and no effect on its performance. The reason for having to slightly rotate the bottom-outlet type tank is to create adequate clearance for the turbo.
This subject is addressed in detail in the install manual, so all options and procedures are explained clearly to the installer.

escuderj

I have a M1123 with a NA 6.5 I was thinking of a turbo kit, but realistically what kind of HP, TQ and MG's is normal without over working that 6.5 and causing it to blow up?

thanks

BMI

Supporting Vendor
The kit is calibrated to produce 50-60 hp and 110-120 ft/lbs, which makes a very noticeable difference in power, and even more so in drive-ability, because the turbo moves the torque curve down about 600-800 rpm and puts peak power much more in the normal driving rpm range. The increased responsiveness of the engine (with the turbo kit) is what most people comment on as the best part about adding the turbo; the engine just doesn't have to labor as hard to get the truck rolling and it feels more agile.
The increased power output is well within the capability of the existing drive-train and the addition of the turbo reduces the EGT's below that of the naturally aspirated engines, thereby helping the engine shed heat and last longer (especially the valves/seats). Blowing up the existing engine (assuming it is not already in a state if disrepair) is not a concern with this kit.
There is now a nationwide "Find a Dealer / Installer Near You" map on the website ( https://www.6-5liter.com/hmmwv-turbo-kit/ ). All the shops listed there have installed the Commander kits on trucks and would likely be willing to discuss their experience/impressions independently.

chrisross

I just bought one of these kits for my M1123. I'm gonna put this on along with the paradox cooling kit. The instructions look really well thought out and should make it very easy for me. I can go in all "get it done" mode, no invention necessary! I'm gonna bring it to an exhaust shop to have them weld the exhaust stuff together.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should and it also should lower EGTs, I would not have thought so but I blew the intercooler hose off of the DuraVee and was shocked at how high the EGTs were as I limped home.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there no room for a intercooler?
According to experience, what is the increase in the temperature of the intake air?

p.s.
For the record. I have already purchased the kit for my 1123 that is still waiting to be shipped.
Here in Europe, 60mi/h is nothing more than a walking chicane.

DaneGer21

Let me know how it works out, I wonder if it would improve you MPG's too.

thanks
If you’ve added boost to any non boost vehicle Im almost 99.99% sure MPG’s will drop. Why? Because you won’t keep your foot out of the throttle! HAHA

I used to do tuning for efi vehicles(I know I know a totally different animal), but I was able to tune some crazy mpg’s at cruising speeds when turbos were added though.

Keep a light foot and drive easy, and yes, better MPG’s will/should follow

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the discussion MPG in relations with this type of vehicle completely ridiculous. FUN COSTS!

But with the weight of the right foot remaining the same, it should actually become less.
Simply because the throttle position is different with the same load.
But I have not understood something yet. So at least from a gasoline point of view.
More air without adjusting the mixture would shift the AF ration towards lean.
But what I haven't understood about the kit is how a shift in the AF ratio is guaranteed here.

DaneGer21

But what I haven't understood about the kit is how a shift in the AF ratio is guaranteed here.
Only speculation, but on some gasoline kits, an easy way to accomplish this is raising fuel pressure using a boost regulated FPR. Although not a safe route in my opinion vs computer tuning and injector sizing.

Maybe they are raising fuel pressure in relation to boost, thus pushing more fuel when boost comes in

Swfb

Is there also a picture available of how the exhaust fits through the engine compartment to the rear? I'm waiting on my m1123 and this looks like a great update

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks