• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Turbo Upgrade - BMI Commander™ 6500 Turbo Kit

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there also a picture available of how the exhaust fits through the engine compartment to the rear? I'm waiting on my m1123 and this looks like a great update
there are on on the BMI page. The downpipe goes on the outside of the frame down and from there to the back. The rest is plumbing.

Action

Is there also a picture available of how the exhaust fits through the engine compartment to the rear? I'm waiting on my m1123 and this looks like a great update
I think this routes under the frame rail, so it will eat up several inches of ground clearance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there no room for a intercooler?
According to experience, what is the increase in the temperature of the intake air?

p.s.
For the record. I have already purchased the kit for my 1123 that is still waiting to be shipped.
Here in Europe, 60mi/h is nothing more than a walking chicane.
Yep, was for me, this is a Duramax engine but the intercooler would be about the same, this truck does have a 2" body lift

Attachments

Last edited:

BMI

Supporting Vendor
The 6.5 (and 6.2) diesel is a 21:1 compression engine, and should not be running more than 11-12 pounds of boost to be a reliable and sustainable daily driver (the Commander turbo kit is calibrated for 10 to 11 pounds). This is generally considered to be a relatively low psi system, especially by modern diesel boost standards, where normal boost pressures can be in the 20 to 30 psi range, even from the factory.
With boost levels below 15 psi, an intercooler is generally not a worthwhile effort. The charge air is not hot enough to warrant the use of the intercooler. An intercooler actually acts to the detriment of a low PSI system, by adding turbo lag (due to the additional piping) and back pressure through the intercooler itself.
Regarding your charge air temperature question: The overall combustion chamber temperatures are several hundred degrees cooler with the introduction of the charge-air from the turbo; so the addition of the turbo actually helps reduce the thermal stresses on the combustion chamber components, including the heads combustion chamber inserts and pistons (as compared to the naturally aspirated 6.2/6.5 diesel engine), while simultaneously adding power and making the overall fuel burn more efficient.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An intercooler actually acts to the detriment of a low PSI system, by adding turbo lag (due to the additional piping) and back pressure through the intercooler itself.
Ha.... learned that lesson, about 20 years ago. 6.2L + turbo + large IC: hitting the accelerator out of idle one could see the flexible pipe couplings wanting to collapse, instead of blow(!) And of course there was that momentary black cloud, every time...

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think so. What i know about mechanical fuel pumps (VW T4 diesel) is that they are simple to adrjust and simple to time

BMI

Supporting Vendor
You would just turn up the fuel rate adjustment screw inside the injection pump. Detailed instructions on this procedure are included with the kit.
It is not difficult, especially with the correct tools, however it is a bit tedious and great care must be taken during the adjustment as to not damage anything inside the pump.
There is a small tool kit offered with the kit (for less than $80) that includes everything needed to make an easy install. Nothing terribly special, just some tools that may not be in a home mechanic’s toolbox. It makes the turbo kit install go much more smoothly to have those tools, especially the pump adjustment.

McSpeed

So...I'm really excited about this kit and don't know why I didn't see it until recently. There isn't a lot of Youtube vids or other installs - so it didn't just jump out. If I do one of these, I'll make a nice splash on my youtube channel. Since bringing the truck to Alaska - I find getting up the mountain pass to be very difficult with the stock 6.2 - and all the good fun happens up in the hills.

Trying to figure out how to make this purchase make sense right now....but does a purchase like this ever make sense? Actually, we had an emergency medical expense with my dog of all things - Pretty much I bought the turbo kit and some nice - very nice - accessories for what the dog's surgery and recovery cost!

MattNC

On hills and under load is where this kit makes a night and day difference. I've only taken it to a few thousand ft in elevation but even around town with the M1102 trailer it just handles the load so much better.

chrisross

So I finally got the kit installed. I was going to do this work myself, working to build a shop for these kinds of things, but I still haven't gotten close.

I asked Mike from Cascade Car Craft to do it and he did a great job. If you are near Central Oregon, hit him up.

A while before the turbo, I had the injector pump rebuilt by Oregon Fuel Injection and they turned it up 10% by measuring the output (I asked for a "little bump".)

The turbo kit has a fuel pump adjustment measured by a fraction of a screw turn.

I asked Oregon Fuel Injection how much they turned it, but since they measure the actual output, they didn't have an answer for me.

So now it's adjusted a little too far, and I need to figure out how to find the optimal setting.

When it starts up, it blows out some black some and when cold it might die immediately and I have to start again. This didn't happen before the turbo so I suspect it's related to the injector pump fuel adjustment. I am not familiar with what to expect with a mechanical injector pump engine so I don't know if this is consistent with too much fuel.

Anyways, with the stock wastegate adjustment, I get up to 11psi on a steep climb, and EGTs up to 950 or so. The only way I get the boost that high is full throttle up a steep hill.

I also have the Paradox By Design cooling kit installed. I hope it's worth the cost. It looks cool, at least.

MattNC

So I finally got the kit installed. I was going to do this work myself, working to build a shop for these kinds of things, but I still haven't gotten close.

I asked Mike from Cascade Car Craft to do it and he did a great job. If you are near Central Oregon, hit him up.

A while before the turbo, I had the injector pump rebuilt by Oregon Fuel Injection and they turned it up 10% by measuring the output (I asked for a "little bump".)

The turbo kit has a fuel pump adjustment measured by a fraction of a screw turn.

I asked Oregon Fuel Injection how much they turned it, but since they measure the actual output, they didn't have an answer for me.

So now it's adjusted a little too far, and I need to figure out how to find the optimal setting.

When it starts up, it blows out some black some and when cold it might die immediately and I have to start again. This didn't happen before the turbo so I suspect it's related to the injector pump fuel adjustment. I am not familiar with what to expect with a mechanical injector pump engine so I don't know if this is consistent with too much fuel.

Anyways, with the stock wastegate adjustment, I get up to 11psi on a steep climb, and EGTs up to 950 or so. The only way I get the boost that high is full throttle up a steep hill.

I also have the Paradox By Design cooling kit installed. I hope it's worth the cost. It looks cool, at least.
I did my kit following the kit turning instructions and mine doesn’t start any different from stock but will throw a bit of smoke if I let it lug on a hill in overdrive (I have a 700r4 transmission) or if I really get on it from a stop.

on hills I also am around 10-11 psi max boost, I’d like to turn down the waste gate to never go above 10 psi. Hottest I’ve ever seen egts is 875.

I was thinking I may have even turned it up a bit too much myself with the occasional minor coal roll if I floor it.

turning it down isn’t hard, just be really careful opening the pump per the bmi instructions and the kit they offered helps, mainly the extra long Allen wrench you could buy elsewhere. The pump has small delicate parts and must be reassembled carefully. I took lots of pictures when opening it to have references for putting it back together.

chrisross

It makes sense that you get some fuel-laden smoke when you aren't in boost. It seems like you don't really need to take out much parts from the injector pump if you use the long allen tool ?

McSpeed

I did my kit following the kit turning instructions and mine doesn’t start any different from stock but will throw a bit of smoke if I let it lug on a hill in overdrive (I have a 700r4 transmission) or if I really get on it from a stop.

on hills I also am around 10-11 psi max boost, I’d like to turn down the waste gate to never go above 10 psi. Hottest I’ve ever seen egts is 875.

I was thinking I may have even turned it up a bit too much myself with the occasional minor coal roll if I floor it.

turning it down isn’t hard, just be really careful opening the pump per the bmi instructions and the kit they offered helps, mainly the extra long Allen wrench you could buy elsewhere. The pump has small delicate parts and must be reassembled carefully. I took lots of pictures when opening it to have references for putting it back together.
So…what about the performance? I was ready to buy one of these kits but went for the aluminum doors first and I have issues with the exhaust pipe mod hanging under the frame. I go way off road in remote places and am not sure how that will work as I’ve bottomed mine out several times.

I just bought another truck camper I’m busy rebuilding with hopes of hauling it on the M998 out to remote places and need the extra power to climb some stairs f these hills.

MattNC

So…what about the performance? I was ready to buy one of these kits but went for the aluminum doors first and I have issues with the exhaust pipe mod hanging under the frame. I go way off road in remote places and am not sure how that will work as I’ve bottomed mine out several times.

I just bought another truck camper I’m busy rebuilding with hopes of hauling it on the M998 out to remote places and need the extra power to climb some stairs f these hills.
The exhaust pipe is still outstanding as something I want to get corrected. I did it per the kit as I needed to get it done but want to figure out a different way to route it in the future. That will require some thinking through and fabrication for sure unless I just dump it out after the turbo with no muffler.
The performance boost is definitely there. The truck just pulls better especially above 1500 rpm. Under load is where the difference is night or day. Last month I pulled my 2000lb double axel trailer 100 miles to get a surplus military shipping container. Coming back I was at 4000lb with the trailer, wind resistance much higher and going up hills holding 55 in D3 (I have a 700r4). It was holding boost at 10psi, EGT of around 840 and again held speed on the hill. Before the turbo I’d be doing 30mph up that hill with my flashers on.

reegwash

The exhaust pipe is still outstanding as something I want to get corrected. I did it per the kit as I needed to get it done but want to figure out a different way to route it in the future. That will require some thinking through and fabrication for sure unless I just dump it out after the turbo with no muffler.
The performance boost is definitely there. The truck just pulls better especially above 1500 rpm. Under load is where the difference is night or day. Last month I pulled my 2000lb double axel trailer 100 miles to get a surplus military shipping container. Coming back I was at 4000lb with the trailer, wind resistance much higher and going up hills holding 55 in D3 (I have a 700r4). It was holding boost at 10psi, EGT of around 840 and again held speed on the hill. Before the turbo I’d be doing 30mph up that hill with my flashers on.
Any long term reviews you have on this kit? Still pleased?

MattNC

Any long term reviews you have on this kit? Still pleased?
Yes I have several thousand miles on the kit and it’s been everything I wanted. I was just thinking the other day when hauling a fairly heavy load in the bed how it’s no issue now holding speed on hills when the 6.2 before the turbo would have me crawling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks