• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Upgrades

rcb

Greetings to All: while waiting for my EUC to clear on my newest 1993, 6.5 M998, I was wondering what
upgrades are available and worthwhile in install ? Your thoughts please...
Thanks...
Bob

riderdan

I don't know about the hard top... I recall it being just as leaky as the soft top :)
I do think the airlift bumper and spare tire carrier are nice--though spendy. If you have access to tools, somewhere there's a PDF of the bumper and you can make your own out of a $100 section of 2x8x1/4 steel. I just put a set of antennas on mine, which is a nice way to make it look more like it did when it was in service.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, being 6'4" and having to drive one while on active duty for too many miles, I would say cut out the support behind the drivers seat and move it back far enough to be able to get in and out without busted knees.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, being 6'4" and having to drive one while on active duty for too many miles, I would say cut out the support behind the drivers seat and move it back far enough to be able to get in and out without busted knees.
You need to requisition shorter legs son. What've they been feedin' ya'?

:)

T

Mario

I don't know about the hard top... I recall it being just as leaky as the soft top :)
I do think the airlift bumper and spare tire carrier are nice--though spendy. If you have access to tools, somewhere there's a PDF of the bumper and you can make your own out of a $100 section of 2x8x1/4 steel. I just put a set of antennas on mine, which is a nice way to make it look more like it did when it was in service.
Let me know if you find that PDF. I bought the beam, now trying to figure out how to cut it, do cutouts, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

911joeblow

I like to put heat/sound deadner (dynamat was the original) in mine. I comes in rolls that you stick to floors, tunnel etc. and roll it down. It conforms to the contours of the panels and edges and can then be painted if you wish or put down factory insulation (expensive) on top. It has an aluminium outer layer. I get thicker than normal stuff from a different supplier but it is several times more effective than rhino in both sound and heat control. If you are doing a body off restoration then putting it under the floor is really nice!

I would suggest (humbly) to put one of my cooling system upgrade kits to make the interior cooler and give the engine more reliability and longevity.

I think doing an LED conversion it pretty high on the list. The headlights stock are horrible and need to be changed for basic safety.

The stock two piece seats or horrible. I think the standard high backs are nice, not fancy, but comfortable. I put a aftermarket cover on them with front and back utility pockets on them to keep them clean and the covers kinda look like special forces stuff. I also remove the retaining screws for the seat back and replace them with pull pins so I can fold the seat back forward if I need to. I leave the two piece seats in the back for the 4-doors so I can fold them down and have the extra cargo space if I need it.

I always retune/retime the fuel pumps since they are pretty detuned for the military. The engines really wake up quite a bit with this. I DONT use factory settings and this should only be done by somebody who understands diesels.

FKAM

I always retune/retime the fuel pumps since they are pretty detuned for the military. The engines really wake up quite a bit with this. I DONT use factory settings and this should only be done by somebody who understands diesels.
911joeblow

You willing to show or just explain to me how you do this when I pick up the cooling system upgrade kit I ordered from you?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know if you find that PDF. I bought the beam, now trying to figure out how to cut it, do cutouts, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The following thread has several files that map out building an Airlift Bumper from scratch:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...rlift-Bumper-dimensions&highlight=airlift+pdf

Read the entire thread as there are several files, and the later files are superior.

[EDIT] The following is a really good PDF posted by another member in that thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=662763&d=1484861253

I hope this helps,

T

Last edited:

Mario

The following thread has several files that map out building an Airlift Bumper from scratch:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...rlift-Bumper-dimensions&highlight=airlift+pdf

Read the entire thread as there are several files, and the later files are superior.

[EDIT] The following is a really good PDF posted by another member in that thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=662763&d=1484861253

I hope this helps,

T
Thanks for looking up the post for me.
The second link (the PDF file) is just a black/blank picture.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
link works for me.

Once I press the link, bottom of screen asks if I want to save or open. Clicking open seems to work over here.

Hope it works for you too. If not, screen down in the initial thread and find the same link and use it.

It is a .pdf document, so you will need Adobe (or some other .pdf reader) installed.

YMMV

Best,

T

Last edited:

Wire Fox

4L80E all the way! I'm working on that one right now. If you have a 2-man HMMWV, consider upgrading your rear door inserts. Either get the actual swing-open half doors, or install a set of fixed doors that have the tool access (what I'm doing).

Another little tidbit is I picked up a QP1800 power inverter, NOS. Since I did the 200A dual-voltage alternator upgrade, I'll have plenty of power available to be able to deliver 1800W of 120 VAC power to whatever system I need....computers, chargers, flood lights, corded power tools, or as an emergency generator to temporarily power up some pumps or appliances. I'm going to try and shock-mount it into a water-tight rack case, so I can open up both ends for venting when I need to use it, or have it sealed up for transport...without having to do too much bolting and unbolting for a secure mount.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks