• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Wait Light Quick Flash

GMVguy

Just noticed a new problem on the Humvee. When switching from stop to run on a cold morning, the Glow Plug Wait Light just flashes quickly, whereas before it would stay lit for a few seconds, until the plugs were warmed up. I wait several seconds anyway, and the truck starts up fine, but am wondering why the light just flashes instead of accurately indicates the status. Any ideas?

GMVguy

Either Glows plugs are toast or EESS/TSU is faulty...I would check GP's first...
Ok, I will test em. Strange though, as they only have 200 miles on them. Truck has been sitting on a base for 8 years though, so things are bound to happen with that long period of non-use. If glow plugs test fine, I was thinking it could be a wiring short or something like that...

GMVguy

The only thing that happened out of the ordinary recently is the other day, it was raining heavily and the truck wouldn't start. I attempted starting it several times, sometimes holding the switch in the Start position for 10-15 seconds. White smoke would blow out the exhaust pipe, but the motor wouldn't start. I figured some moisture had gotten in the intake system, so I sprayed a little ether in the air cleaner and she fired right up.

Before that, the wait light operated normally. But ever since then, the wait light issue has occurred: only flashing for a second and then a few seconds later it will quickly flash again. After waiting a normal period of time, the truck starts fine. Would those several long starting attempts have caused the issue?

Bradyrw625

It's either bad glow plugs or a bad glow plug controller. Do you still have a PCB box or has it been switched out?

GMVguy

Here's what I have (Nartron box). The problem only occurs when cold, so it seems the glow plugs are not heating up.

Attachments

85 USMC M998

I have a yellow lable KDS and had a issue with the light flashing rapidly (14 times) and the glow plugs would not fire w/o disconnecting the TSU. Called KASCAR and they told me the 14 flash code was a glow plug or TSU issue so TheHummerGuy is spot on. I checked the GPs out, they were fine so I ordered a new TSU. It ended up being the TSU. BTW I have the yellow band TSU. For $40 shipped I am back in business. 😀

CATONY

I'm having some of the same issues. One of my glow plugs is definitely bad and I'm having a **** of a time getting it out. Where is the GPC or TSU located?
How do I know if I still have one?
I have a 92' m988 HMMWV.
Thanks for your help.

DatGuyC

I replaced all of mine and I don't remember any of them being especially horrible to get out, but they all did have anti-seize around them from the military. The tsu is located on the coolant crossover tube on the passenger side.

CATONY

Well 7 of the 8 came out fine but one is swolen it's stuck and I even used the jj&a removal tool. At this point it looks like I'll have to break it and fish it out.
Where is the PCB located?
Thanks again for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks