• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Wheel Alternative

Jon0249

I recently purchased an old 24' military trailer, the type you would expect to see rolled into a missile test range - windows all around with slide-up covers, 5th wheel for hauling with a semi. Interestingly, the 4+1 tires are in remarkable shape, free of dry rot, cracking, etc. So, I'm wondering of a way to use them on my M998.

The wheels are 20 x 9.00, overall height is approximately 40". I've found 20x9 wheels, only a few with 8 lugs to match the OEM wheels, and have found no steel wheels at all. I'm after a stock look with these tires, just can't find the wheels. Any ideas?

Attachments

Jon0249

Looks nice. I may end up going that way, but for now, I'm trying to keep the authentic look. The front tires appear to be tight - any contact on turning or rough terrain?

Last edited:

Sintorion

You should check the age of those tires before investing in wheels. Tires may look good from the outside, but could be ticking time bomb and fly apart when you are going down the road. One other thing to consider with those trailer tires is that they are probably steel casing tires designed to support a lot of weight. If you put those on your M998, it will likely make a bad ride absolutely horrible. Look at the sidewall and find the manufacture date of the tires and also look at ply construction. If you see a steel sidewall ply, you should probably avoid.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those look like standard bias ply ndt and will not ride well like a modern radial. I am going to say they look worn as the face is flat tread instead of rounder when they are new.
Much better options out there on both rims and tires than use those wheels with some sort of adapter or those bias ply tires.

DatGuyC

You're talking about putting NDT's on a hmmwv? Personally I wouldn't even think about it, even if you could find wheels that could make it work.

3000gt

trust me the ride is soooooo much better with the toyo (any other wheel) tires. the humvee rides like my sierra.

I drive on asphalt and the shatty tires that came on the truck were pitiful and dangerous (around curves)!!!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased an old 24' military trailer, the type you would expect to see rolled into a missile test range - windows all around with slide-up covers, 5th wheel for hauling with a semi. Interestingly, the 4+1 tires are in remarkable shape, free of dry rot, cracking, etc. So, I'm wondering of a way to use them on my M998.

The wheels are 20 x 9.00, overall height is approximately 40". I've found 20x9 wheels, only a few with 8 lugs to match the OEM wheels, and have found no steel wheels at all. I'm after a stock look with these tires, just can't find the wheels. Any ideas?
Say, did you ever find any 20" wheels? I have decided to part ways with my custom 20" split rims and will make you a deal. I had 5 built by a machine shop several years ago and ran 11:00/20NDT tires for over 200,000 miles and they were smooth as silk. They are 8-bolt and will fit right onto a HMMWV hub. Let me know.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks