• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MA, 5 Ton, CDL, MA RMV

Kalashnikov

Rupperster and 79m819, those rules/laws/regulations are different from MA. In MA, I can pretty much chnage whatever I want as long as the title matches the VIN on the cab. I can take an F150 cab and put it on an F350 and it'd be registered with the F150's title as an F150. I can take a 5 ton cab and put it in a deuce and it'd be registered with the 5 ton's title as a 5 ton. These cases are the same since both 5 ton an deuce cabs are the same like an F150 and an F350's are (80-97).

What my insurance argent told me is that there are certain codes for vehicles so you can avoid putting commercial plates on them. This method worked for my deuce and my 5 ton. I have been stopped in both and there were no issues.

The registry did have a little bit of an issue with the VIN and had to add an extra zero I believe but then it was changed back on the paperwork i received.

The deuce had a previous MA title and the 5 ton had a CT title.

My insurance is Commerce and they have given me better prices than anywhere else.

Actually I keep forgetting my deuce had passenger plates on it! This was accomplished by this "bypass code" my agent told me about.

Last edited:

treeguy

In regards to "not giving out too much info to the insurance co.", I'd be a little leary about that. If you ever had an issue/accident and you actually had to use your insurance they might deny you when they figure out exactly what you really have going on.

spicergear

The interpretation of the laws varies as well from your states DOT to the State Police. It shouldn't but it does and will. The laws generally are not cut and dry black and white and that interpretation is where most the problems lie.

Vintage iron

I hope he is a friend?! Calling the cops is never a good idea. That is like asking the IRS if you are paying enough taxes. I guess 5 pages of advice from guys that have been running their trucks legally in Ma. isn't much help. If you are that intimidated, maybe you should not get a 5 ton?

bearboley

I thought CDL's now with the new csa system where federal not state level. I knew a fellow and personally seen this happen to,he was running a dump truck that was a tri axle, he added a fourth axle. he was pulled over by the ODOT and the truck was impounded for a false registration and given a overload ticket even though the VIN matched and he could scale it on 4 axles, the reg said it was a tri axle and the gvw was light. Wondered when this would be brought up about bobbers. I don't know why these cdl questions keep getting brought up. If its a single truck or combination that totals 26,001 lbs or more you need a cdl to drive it. if it has air brakes you need a airbrake endorsement. You also need a USDOT number marked on it even if your private, they want to know whose responsible for the maintenance along with a federal inspection sticker on the truck. If it was manufactured after a certain date it needs reflective tape on it . You also need a medical card to drive it.If you drive it over 100 miles from your place you need a hours of service book,"log book" I was told all of this by a Commercial motor vehicle officer during a level 2 stop while driving a 5ton. The only exception was farm plated trucks. I was farm plated, he checked my lights paperwork and safety gear. Was gonna check brakes but since adjustment could not be checked he took a picture of them showing the type for his paperwork. Dueces fly under the radar but 5ton are a can of worms just waiting

Last edited:

martinwcox

I hope he is a friend?! Calling the cops is never a good idea. That is like asking the IRS if you are paying enough taxes. I guess 5 pages of advice from guys that have been running their trucks legally in Ma. isn't much help. If you are that intimidated, maybe you should not get a 5 ton?
" I guess 5 pages of advice from guys that THINK have been running their trucks legally in Ma."

And that's the problem, thinking you are legal as you sit in the back of the cruiser and watch the wrecker tow your truck away is small consolation.

martinwcox

NO CDL for 5 TON in MA!

Per Trooper Burdett at Commercial Vehicle Enforcement State Police this applies:

5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.

If your not in Commerce, no CDL.

It's also a very small world, I went to a local cruise night yesterday in the Deuce, the very trooper I just spoke with had an enforcement stop on the other side of the road that I took, he wanted to stop me and look at the truck!

Happy Memorial Day :beer:

martinwcox

Not sure re the truck it's in NJ.

So far as last night, it was a spur of the moment as I was running around with the kids, also as the road block was up, had you come that way :oops:

Vintage iron

Glad the phone call to the cops worked out for you. It is nice to be right too! I would keep that troopers name and number with your registration for safe keeping. Welcome to the world of the big boys.

martinwcox

Glad the phone call to the cops worked out for you. It is nice to be right too! I would keep that troopers name and number with your registration for safe keeping. Welcome to the world of the big boys.
I am very glad you were right and also very pleased with the outcome in terms of being able to post information that can be of use to all the folks here on SS in MA.

The number to call is 978 369 1004.

Very friendly, very helpful and I think wishing more people asked questions as part of their job is education.

Trooper sugested keeping the Regulations in the truck, for reference these are MA CMR 540, 2.05 and 2.06 and MGL Chapter 90.

He said MV owners are in a real grey area and a lot of LEO's will not know the laws.

I asked about air brakes, no issue on a personal use heavy truck. In fact he said there are people operating 18 wheelers as 'personal vehicles', just don't ever get stopped hauling anything that could imply 'Commerce'.

This has cetainly been an education for me and I hope useful information for the wider audience, MA or otherwise.

Best regards to All,

Martin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks