• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MA registration without title?

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure this has been asked about before but I can't find the threads I remember reading. I also am getting some conflicting information on the web so I wanted to ask the experts on here.

I have finally found, what appears to be, a good deal on an m35a2 in Massachusetts. However, it has no title. I bill of sale is the only thing provided?

Will it automatically have no chance of being registered in MA?
I remember reading about people being able to get Vermont plates, then get MA plates from there. Is that a possibility?

Gunzy

I don't care where it comes from, for me it's "No title, No sale." The lack of a title in many states can cause a lot of grief. I know that some states don't require a title on vehicles over a certain age, but I have dealt with a no title sale on a car and won't ever do it again and don't recommend anyone else doing it. Just my2cents

dependable

I am not an expert, but I have bought and sold a lot of trucks in this state. No title no sale is good general rule. If you are hoping for exception, it depends on title status of vehicle. If it was last registered in NH for instance, and owner has old NH registration, it could be no problem. But if truck was never titled, or has been 'separated' from title it may only be good for parts or farm truck.

dependable

That, although I am no expert, would be fraud. If you ever were found out, you could loose the vehicle and everything you put into it, as well as legal consequences. If you are tempted to go that route anyway, I suggest you do not post about it here.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That, although I am no expert, would be fraud. If you ever were found out, you could loose the vehicle and everything you put into it, as well as legal consequences. If you are tempted to go that route anyway, I suggest you do not post about it here.
I wasn't sure of the legality of such a thing, so I asked. If it is illegal I do not plan on going that route.

dependable

If you don't know title history, it may be a stolen truck. That's one of the main reasons for titles, that and collecting fees. If for some reason you have legitimate reason to re attach vin plate in this state, such as cab transplant, the plate installation has to be inspected and signed off by state police officer. Good luck in your truck search.

w3azel

Call your local DMV and have them explain the process for getting a title for the vehicle. In Nebraska its not to bad of a process and will probably take a day or two of your time and a few hundred extra. In North Carolina I won't touch a vehicle unless it has a notarized clear title. This state is absolutely insane when it comes to getting vehicle paperwork done.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mass sucks at everything so I'm sure this won't be any different. I tried calling and the wait time was over an hour.

Reaper651

I don't know about MA, but I have been told by a legal registration company here in Cali that A bill of sale is all I need if its 25 years old or older. My advice is to call a registration company in your state and see what they say. The one I called here was very helpful and said they would even come to my house to verify the VIN.

Gunzy

Find another truck for sale WITH a title. This would solve all the problems you have spoken of. Or make seller come up with title. There are plenty of trucks for sale out there with proper paper work.

ange7usa

a few ways to register the truck. do a lost title search cost $50. can you get your hands on the old registration? this helps the registry or insurance company to track it in the system. In mass if the vehicle is over 22yrs old u do not need a title. Last resort is register it out of state were only a bill of sale is needed. make sure the truck is not reported stolen first. i can get more info if you need it!!! ange7usa at yahoo
wally

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you ange7usa. I was just about to email you but I got through to the titling department. I'll share the info I recieved.

1) If the vehicle was purchased from out of state, if taxes were paid in that other state that counts as proof of ownership.
2) A man at the RMV Title Department told me a seller cannot sell a vehicle without a title. It doesn't have to be registered, but it needs to be titled. He said a salvage yard should provide the paper work to get a title.

I assume that's correct info but the RMV has been known to be wrong time to time.

cornelm23

Following this discussion, I'm close to picking up a duce for Mass registration, well over 22 years old, but with no title. I was also interested in navigating the insurance process, Geico already said no. Finally, assuming I get past the registration and insurance process, what about the inspection process, and particular pit falls there? Any insight or info appreciated. Thanks.

texas30cal

If you are not using as a daily driver call hagerty, my ins is $136/yr, here in tx we can get former military vehicle plates and inspection is not required, hopefully you can get something similar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks