• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack Attack checking in from Sauk/Prairie, WI

Mack Attack

Banned
Ol'Mack Attack checking in from Sauk/Prairie Wisconsin. Grew up in Kenosha and Madison WI.
Worked for Packard, Studebaker, and American Motors eventually getting transferred to the AM General division where I worked until I retired and moved to Sauk/Prairie.

Grew up around Packard, Hudson, Nash, Studebaker, REO, GMC, Mack, and American Motors products. Oh we had a few Fords and IHCs got mixed in the bunch too.

Chrysler was to avoided/boycotted brand. My wife and I gave Chrysler a shot but ended up being Anti-Chrysler in the end anyway after some sour luck.

I have always had an love for Mack diesel trucks, Big fan of the M52/54a1 series fan had a few on the family farm which got sold off a few years back. Hope to locate an M52a1 Mack powered tractor one day they seem a bit rare my have to build my own.

You can call me Michael, Mack Attack, or M/A for short. I'll sign my posts "M/A"

Hope to have some fun
M/A

michigandon

Welcome to the group! Sounds like you lived through the era that I wish I would have had the opportunity to experience.

You and AMGeneral on this board are going to get along just fine. ;)

Mack Attack

Banned
That's funny I was going to sign up as AM General but it was taken so I went with Mack Attack instead. My wife gave me that name, I was a bit excited about joining up to start the search for or build of an M52a1 tractor. She goes "Oh jeez don't have a Mack attack on me" so that's how I got the screen name ID :beer:

What I hated about the family farm auction is there was 6 M50 series 5tons 3 Cargos 2 Dumps and a Tractor all of which got sold without my knowledge ! So I'm NOT to impressed with my family . . .

The Cargo's had 673-Ts, dumps had gassers as they were plow trucks, and the Tractor had a bad engine and got a turbo charged 711 diesel transplanted into it.

Thanks for the welcome
M/A

Mack Attack

Banned
My only exp. With M-F's were installing them in new trucks, Though I did test drive a few over the years but that was about it. I did get to watch my brothers son's kid race a REO 331 against an MF and impressively the gasser was faster. They weren't loaded though, Still was the worlds slowest drag race I ever seen.

M/A

Mack Attack

Banned
Yep its at the corner of tower and water streets. I hope a find an M50 Mack too but if NOT I have a plan in my head for a "what if" or "had they of" truck that I dub'd project "M52a3" :beer:

It'd be one heck of Mack 6by tractor !
M/A

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and I believe there has been a Mack powered 5-ton at the Findlay Ohio military show for sale the last two years.

Mack Attack

Banned
Yea that 237hp Mack was fine beast, I also liked the 300hp Mack diesel too. Newest trucks on that farm was a Mack with a 350hp Mack diesel and a Diamond-Reo with a 400hp Cummins diesel.

I always thought a Mack-237/5spd combo with 11R24.5s would make for a fine "M52a3" creation, Maybe up to a 300 or 350 and 7spd Mack but I think the 237/5spd is how Mack would have done it though . . .

Edit:
I think a Mack-237/7spd/11R24.5s would make a nice "M52a3" ;-)
M/A

Last edited:

Mack Attack

Banned
Well there are only 3 of them ;-)

You may run into my great nephew ? I think its great nephew, anywho his girlfriend bought him a 50's REO with gas power 6by. Utility box, duel winches, rolling on singled GI bias 11.00-20s . . . Says "Stockton" on the doors last I saw it. He goes to one of the three Cenex's for his fuel too, Loves to talk mil-spec trucks kinda shy at first.

M/A

AMGeneral

Well,since my name has been tossed around a lot already..

Welcome from WNC Mack Attack,good to meet another admirer of the Mighty Mack trucks and engines,sorry I already had the AMGeneral screenname pegged down.

Watch that vtdeucedriver guy,he is on the lookout for a Mack powered MV,I'm trying my best to buy all of em up east of Memphis TN.

A pic of one of my Macks,a 1967 Kaiser/Jeep M54A1,factory 673 Mack powered truck.

Attachments

Mack Attack

Banned
Yes I tried, AMGeneral, AM-General, and even AM General all got rejected. I thought about AM-G but figured that would get confused with the Benz. I figured American Motors General would of been far to long and oxy looking. So I took the comment my wife made and ran with it. So Mack Attack iit is . . . Ok enough bla bla about names hate to bore ya.

Very nice M54a1 ! You also answered a question if the Mack powered trucks were Mack branded/built and it seems they were Jeeps with Mack engines. We had some Mack powered M50 series on the farm but I never paid that close attention. Now I wished I had. Sadly they sold the trucks with the farm so I didn't get them as I wanted.

I hope to find an M52a1 Mack powered tractor one day, Other wise I will take an M52a2 multifuel and turn it into my project/creation that I dub'd "M52a3" ;-)

Anywho thanks for the welcome guys !
M/A