• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack / Cummins?

M215

Hello SS,
It is time to trade up the M35A2 to a 5 ton, but which one? Currently we are using the deuce to hall the dozer around and clearly need more truck. I have ruled out a 5 tonner with the LDS465 but I'm not sure about the Mack or Cummins.
The Mack ENDT-673 is rated @ 211 hp / 610 lbs-ft torque.
The Cummins NHC250 is rated @ 240 hp / 685 lbs-ft torque.

I have been told that the Mack will out pull the Cummins and since the Mack has a turbo you can easily turn up the fuel rate.

Anyone have any personal experience with these trucks to offer a comparison?

Thanks, Karl

TacticalTruck

hey karl
i love my mack tractor. i wouldn't trade it for a M818 but i suppose you could turbo a 250 and bring it up to 300. AMGeneral had a Mack that needed some work at a real fair price. The Mack have come down some in price with the availability of Cummins trucks for the commerical guys. The Mack parts are a bit more.
Jeff

CGarbee

Everyone that I have ever talked to that has driven both the Mack and Cummins powered trucks has said that the Macks would walk all over the Cummins powered rigs... The consensus was that Mack was a bit more conservative on the published hp/torque ratings...

On one hand, I'd like to have a Mack powered cargo truck. On the other hand, I've got a baby Cummins in one of my M37's, have just purchased a five ton dump with the Cummins, and having a cargo truck with the Cummins would be a better fit (commonality of parts, etc.).

As has been said, it's a tad easier to snag Cummins parts off the shelf since they are newer, but getting parts for either rig isn't that big a deal...

When I get the M817 home, I'm planning on driving it up to Syria, VA, to the farm on occaision (I've driven all my toys up, it's a great place to play/work them...). You can always ride over and check it out to see how well she runs... :)

My final thought: get whichever one comes up for sale in your area that is price/condition compatable with your needs, and don't sweat too much about what is under the hood... ;)

m139h2otruck

I would be curious where the hp/torque #'s came from, as the manual I have shows lower numbers, sort of mid-way between the Cummins and the Multi (5 ton version).

derby

No presonal experiance with the Mack,but I have also heard they are fuel misers.There is a guy north of me who has a Mack powerd cargo,last I knew he wanted $7500.

CGarbee

I think Brandon was thinking about his five ton Mack tractor, not his ten tons... :) The ten ton tractors that he has are both Mack powered...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks