• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack Motor help please.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flushed the Trans fluid and greased all the grease points. I need to take her out on her first test run. See up this point she was doing okay around the yard everything was working great. The crane was functioning well and I just replaced all the fluid in the truck beside the oil and fuel filters. When I brought the truck from sixspeed he told me that the truck had been setting for a long time when he brought it. He put a new filter one her and was not using the fuel tank do to old diesel. I drained the tank filled up with about 10 gallon of new diesel, and I dumped about a half a quart of denatured alcohol to kill any thing in the tank and hooked up the lines. I ran the truck around the yard for about 6 hours over a two week span. When I first hook the lines up she boug down a little while moving the truck but I would push the clutch in and take the loud off her and give her a little fuel and she would be fine. She did this for about 3 min and stop. So I completed some minor task on her by flushing the trans and checking the grease points. Also I was looking at the PTO to try and fix it but was unsuccessful. It was time to take for her first test run. I made it about a mile up the road when she started bouging down. She started slowly pumping out of the exhaust white smoke. Up to this point everything was good. There was no laud bang sound or any vibration. She slowed down and idled for a min then shut down as if she was out of fuel; however I tried to start her back up and it felt like she wanted to but quickly died. I tried about three times and then after the last time would not crank back up at all. I used some either to try to start her, and was unsuccessful with any type of detonation. Now you all have been brought up to date and know what I know about this Mack. This is what I am thinking; I think that the fuel filter could be clogged, but that does not explain the thick white smoke that was emitting from the exhaust. This smoke made my eyes burn as if it was unburnt diesel. I am looking at a jig saw puzzle can any one point me in the right direction? Please.

AMGeneral

OK,I have a few questions to ask first....

The engine didn't make any noises before this happened,what was the oil pressure when it happened,engine temp?

Before this,how long did it take to start, a couple seconds or more?

Have you noticed the engine running differently,idle hunting up and down,before this?

you stated you added alcohol to the system, this may possibly have caused a rubber line to decay and stop up the IP.

Checks to make first.....

Ok, take the supply line to the injection pump (rubber line from the bottom of the fuel filter to the emergency shut down valve) off and pump the primer pump on the side of the IP,see if you get fuel here.

If not,luckily there are only 2 rubber lines between the tank and IP,the one you just took loose and the one from the bottom of the supply pump to the copper line from the tank,check both of these for obstructions as well as both primary and secondary fuel filters.

OK,if you had fuel there and it was a decent amount that came out,reconnect the line to the IP,then loosen the line coming out the top of the secondary fuel filter,then pump the primer pump till you get fuel coming out of the fitting there,then install and tighten the line back to the top of the filter housing,then pump the primer pump about 40 or 50 strokes more,then try and start the truck.

AMGeneral

OK,if the truck failed to start with the above checks,now it's gonna get complicated.

Are you getting white smoke out the stack while it's turning over after you were getting fuel to the injection pump?

Does it sound like it's turning over at a faster RPM than usual?

If so,the 4 bolts on the IP drive gear may have come loose and allowed it to slip time.

Easy way to check for this,on the front of the engine just below the secondary fuel filter,is a round cover bolted on to the engine front cover,remove the 8 bolts that are in it and remove the cover,it may be saftey wired through the bolts.

After the cover is off,you should see 4 bolts that pass through a round plate with slotted holes,see if these 4 bolts are snug,DO NOT over tighten them!!

If the bolts are loose and you can rotate the round plate without turning the engine,then it is out of time and the engine will have to be re timed with the injection pump.

After these checks post back up and let me know what happens.

Last edited:

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Yes I am
2. No it sound normal with no hesitation but I will pay closer attention to it tomorrow when I go through the check list tomorrow.

AMGeneral

It's a pretty long process,I can copy and post it here.

No special tools needed,tools required......

1 1/4 in box end wrench or 3/4 drive socket of the same size w/ratchet
3/4 in wrench
1/2 in drive ratchet and set of sockets
1/16 in diameter 4 in long length of wire
flat tipped pry bar to rotate the engine
Necessary tools to remove the air intake piping from the air cleaner to the turbo.

that's it

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think it is a LOT simpler then that, pluged injectors from crap from the tank, if the former owner was USING A 5gal CAN for a fuel supply because the tank is so craped ( might also be crap from the 5gal can), the old filters may have gone south from sitting, I would guess that the fuel SUSTEM is FULL of CRAP, maybe with stuff growing in the system, injectors plug bad enough not to fire, but still putting out fuel will realy smoke. the alcohol did not help matters with the old rubber stuff, use SEAFOAM, If it ran on the 5gal can but not the tank, START looking for TANK CRUD, does not make sense that it all of a sudden jumped time, not if it was running fair to good

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
HUM wonder why the 5gal can, pull the tank, clean it, clean everypart of the fuel system now that you tried to run the tank crap though it, hope the filters got most of it, the fine fine crap is what got though

wdbtchr

My Cummins 4BT acted like that when I first started it. Ran fine at first then started slowing down and billowing white smoke. I had drained the water out of the seperator but it turned out there was a lot of algae scum and about a gallon of water in the tank. I wound up running water all the way through the fuel system before I figured out what happened.

I wound up draining the tank, flushing the slime out with a pressure washer through the drain plug and then filling it with new diesel. I had to crack the injector lines at the injector and then crank the engine until all the water was out of the system. Put on fresh filters and it's been running ever since.2cents

Last edited: