• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack powered 5 ton tractors ....... ?

CanadaDeuce

Hello All

Out of sheer curiosity I am wanting some info on the history of Mack powered 5 ton tractors and hopfully some pics of them and there motors, never see one most Ive seen are Cummins, heck dont even know if the Macks are M818 or called something different, did some searches here but not much there or still not understanding how to do a narrowed down search. :roll:

Well anyone who owns one and is willing to share some pics and info pls feel free to PM me Ill give you a Email addy to send pics to.

From what I gather they are older than the Cummins units, but again not much to be found on them, are parts available for these trucks ?

Well have a nice day all ...........

CanadaDeuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're also changing AM Generals name to Mack since he's been aquiring all the Mack powered stuff lately.

CanadaDeuce

Mack engine .....

Thanks everyone so they are all M52A1's with the Mack motors .... thank s for the info and especially AMGeneral for the engine pics, so my question are they as reliable and run good as a multi ?, can parts be had for these engines either thru MV dealers or Mack trucks ?

Ill take any more pics of that truck AM to see the rest of it you cna PM those if you like,
were there many made or is this gonna be the oddball unit that nothing is available for ?

thanks all again

CanadaDeuce

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Mack engine .....

Any M39 series vehicle ending with -A1 should be Mack powered IE, M51A1, M62A1, M543A1.

acetomatoco

RE: Mack engine .....

Some parts are tough to find.....as there were some differences with the civvy ENDT. Tons of torque for sure.

CanadaDeuce

OK all

Ive been told the Mack powered trucks have a different front end in them than others anybody in the know on this ?, also IF they were different, in what way and again are parts easy to find or will this again pose a problem ?

Guess Im asking would these trucks be more desirable as a pice down the road or would it only make a good lawn ornament ?

Seems court is out if these Mack powered trucks are a good buy due to being different or actully be worth less due to parts availabilty and being the black sheep of the M52's ?

have fun ....... April 19 we are -2C and snow again ! ........ something to be said for CA weather 8)

Man I hope this quits soon !

CanadaDeuce

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Macks

Ditto to Recovery4x4... All 5-tons with A1 suffix were Mack-powered originally. ENDT-673 to be exact. They ran about 210-220HP at best if the pump was set up a little "hot." They wouldn't hold their speed well over the road, but they sure could lug. The engines had incredible low-rpm torque. I drove some of the first A1's, they had downswept exhausts similar to the prior 5T gassers, but that didn't last long. In short time subsequent A1's had a stack, which was not welcomed by us because it put all the noise right into the cab. All of the A1's I drove or fixed were built from 1964 or so, to about 1968 or so. The 5-ton A2's with Continental multifuels started to show up around 1969-70 if I remember right. There was no visual external difference that I can remember between any of the A1's or A2's that had a stack. But if you heard a Mack diesel coming and it had no stack, you knew it was an early A1. I have old pics of downswept A1's, but nothing on the computer.

Some of the first 809-series 5-tons that came out in 1973 with the cummins had grilles rather identical to the older 5-tons. At a distance we'd tell them apart by the air cleaner location or the elongated hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks