• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack RD822sx

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pardon the interruption, but why doesn't it have a bulldog on the front of the hood? Did Mack quit that at some point?
The Bulldog must have ran away. It's got a place for one but it's not there. There's one on the way from Ebay.

pjwest03

Very nice. The E9's have a rather lovely and distinct rumble. My family has a certain fascination with E9 Macks. They have 4 of them on the road. 3 Superliners and a CL.

E9's have a propensity to break cam shafts, particularly if you turn the fuel up a bit too aggressively. They also have a pension for cracked and leaking exhaust manifolds. The manifold is made of many small pieces, 7 if memory serves me correctly. They have replaced theirs with stainless headers made by the "Killer Mack" guy.

Be kind to it. E9 parts are getting to be as rare as hens teeth. Mack sent all their stock to Australia after production stopped in the US. Lots of E9 Mack Titan road train rigs down under.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have contacted the Mack Museum about the history of the truck. They have copies of all the Mack records and are going to give me all the records they have on it.

The funny thing is, this truck has more than likely seen more action than any of my MVs. Even though it's a civilian model and the others are tactical trucks. All the info I have on the MVs is that they never left the continental US.

fasttruck

If the truck was built around 1990 it may be a leftover from a number of Mack chassis that the military seized for tractor service in Desert Storm as there apparently were not enough 911.747 combinations to support that effort. Mack provided chassis that were built to be coal trucks and made them into tractors. The company that built the trailers stayed open Christmas day to finish on time. I also heard that these manual transmission trucks did not fair well when deployed owing to the poor skill level of the typical motor transport operators deployed. If your truck has a fifth wheel with a 3" jaw that would be consistant with the HETT mission.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck was built around 1990 it may be a leftover from a number of Mack chassis that the military seized for tractor service in Desert Storm as there apparently were not enough 911.747 combinations to support that effort. Mack provided chassis that were built to be coal trucks and made them into tractors. The company that built the trailers stayed open Christmas day to finish on time. I also heard that these manual transmission trucks did not fair well when deployed owing to the poor skill level of the typical motor transport operators deployed. If your truck has a fifth wheel with a 3" jaw that would be consistant with the HETT mission.
See post 11.

From the info I found, all the Mack RD800 used in Operation Desert Storm had the standard 2" 5th wheel. My truck was in fact one of the trucks used in Desert Storm and it has a standard 2" 5th wheel.

They also built trailers specific to this mission and they had a 2" kingpin. The trailers were built by Kalyn and Landoll.

Here's a pic of one of the trucks in action.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found another truck from the Desert Storm Macks. It's a RD888sx sold through GL out of Barstow about a year ago. Ended up going to the North Dakota oil fields.

Below is a pic. If you'll notice, it has the bulldog missing also. I wonder if this was a military requirement (like the Ford script jeeps) or they were just stolen by soldiers as a war trophy.

I'd love to find one of the trailers used behind these trucks. It appears there is one in the background of this pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found another truck from the Desert Storm Macks. It's a RD888sx sold through GL out of Barstow about a year ago. Ended up going to the North Dakota oil fields.

Below is a pic. If you'll notice, it has the bulldog missing also. I wonder if this was a military requirement (like the Ford script jeeps) or they were just stolen by soldiers as a war trophy.

I'd love to find one of the trailers used behind these trucks. It appears there is one in the background of this pic.
Said trailer - http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8554393

Jeepsinker

I know Ithat isn't my place to say, because you bought it and I didnt, but your truck really does belong in the Mack museum. I'm sure the one that went to the oil fields is already destroyed, and who knows where the other 18 are.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Ithat isn't my place to say, because you bought it and I didnt, but your truck really does belong in the Mack museum. I'm sure the one that went to the oil fields is already destroyed, and who knows where the other 18 are.
I've never been to the Mack Museum, for all I know they may already have one of them. I have been in contact with them so they do know about the truck. I would consider letting them have it if they could come up with compensation, I'm really not in the financial position to donate it.

About all I can do is take into account the historical significance and care for it as such. I have thought of making a plaque that tells the history of the truck and taking it to some shows.

I think the total number of them was 48.

Jeepsinker

Oh I thought there were only 20. Where did I get that from? Maybe I need to go back and re-read... you never know, the museum may offer you substantially more than you have in the truck, then again they may not. Still a really cool rig, even more so because it can still be worked and hold its own.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent the VIN info to the Mack Museum and while they didn't have any info on the military record of the truck they did give me all of the factory info.

They sent me the build sheet, dealer order sheet, owners manual, lube manual, engine rebuild manual, and truck maintenance manual. All free of charge (but they do ask for donations).

The info I got actually provides more questions than answers. Come to find out the truck is actually a 1985 instead of a 1991 as it is titled. I do know the truck only had 861 miles on it when it was sent to Leigh Consolidated Industries in 1991 to be outfitted for the Gulf War. The question is, what did it do from 1985 until 1991 to only accumulate 861 miles? Makes you wonder if whoever ordered the truck decided not to take it and it stayed in dealer inventory for 6 years.

I do know the truck was ordered from Mack of Maine for a customer in 1985 but that's where the info that Mack has stops.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent the VIN info to the Mack Museum and while they didn't have any info on the military record of the truck they did give me all of the factory info.

They sent me the build sheet, dealer order sheet, owners manual, lube manual, engine rebuild manual, and truck maintenance manual. All free of charge (but they do ask for donations).

The info I got actually provides more questions than answers. Come to find out the truck is actually a 1985 instead of a 1991 as it is titled. I do know the truck only had 861 miles on it when it was sent to Leigh Consolidated Industries in 1991 to be outfitted for the Gulf War. The question is, what did it do from 1985 until 1991 to only accumulate 861 miles? Makes you wonder if whoever ordered the truck decided not to take it and it stayed in dealer inventory for 6 years.

I do know the truck was ordered from Mack of Maine for a customer in 1985 but that's where the info that Mack has stops.
I think the write up said that one of the trucks was used, so you may have that one, which would make it even more rare (1 in 48!).

pjwest03

If my memory is still reliable, the biggest user in Maine at that time was probably Gerald Pelletier. They pull double log trailers on private roads. 300,000-400,000 gross. In modern times they buy other stuff. But they were a big Mack customer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall who my truck was built for but it wasn't the Pelletier's. What is strange is the truck was built in 1985 but it appears that it sat unused, or used very little until the military procured it in 1991. I don't know if the original guy that ordered it backed out or what.

I'll dig my paperwork back out and see who it was. I remember researching it and it seems the company now is a paving outfit and no longer in logging.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a follow up about this truck. I actually found a picture of it in operation over in the Middle East, and the Sargent who drove it. I’ve reached out the the Sargent but haven’t heard back yet.

The truck has blue paint under the white it currently has. I’m 100% sure this is the trucks, by the way the guy described it on Facebook ( mine was the only Mack over there that was a gold dog).

Attachments

Ajax MD

Just a follow up about this truck. I actually found a picture of it in operation over in the Middle East, and the Sargent who drove it. I’ve reached out the the Sargent but haven’t heard back yet.

The truck has blue paint under the white it currently has. I’m 100% sure this is the trucks, by the way the guy described it on Facebook ( mine was the only Mack over there that was a gold dog).
That is super cool. I'm a big history fan and I highly advocate discovering the history of our trucks, no matter how mundane (not saying yours is mundane). On that note, I have a question about some numbers discovered on my truck that I'll post in a separate thread...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks