• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made a Shed for my 802a and moved it to the back yard

Dylanss180

I built a shed over the year and I made it with keeping my generator on the side of the shed. I made a 1/2" rebar reinforced 6" thick concrete slab for the generator to sit on. It has an overhang roof to keep it dry and I welded up a stainless exhaust system to route it above the roof. I put in a stainless flexible line to take up the vibration.

I made a wheel setup to work with my powered dolley I made. Made it really easy to get it in my cramped back yard.

I am now working on getting my 55gal spare fuel drum setup. My plan is to fill whatever void is inside with argon rather than air to keep the fuel from spoiling. Overall, I am pretty happy with how everything worked out. It was a lot of work.

Attachments

bobs461

That's a great ideal to purge the 55 gallon drum of air with nitrogen. I wonder if anyone can verify if this helps extend the storage time of diesel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dylanss180

That's a great ideal to purge the 55 gallon drum of air with nitrogen. I wonder if anyone can verify if this helps extend the storage time of diesel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
it should. Remove the void with dry argon will remove the chance for any bacteria to grow and keep it dry.

Chainbreaker

Just as an FYI... I've heard about situations where people plumbed-in aux fuel sources and closed off a normally vented tank to prevent air exchange, and it got hot and expanded enough to create enough tank pressure to get past the aux fuel pump ck valve. It then over filled the day tank creating a messy pool of diesel around genset.

Thus, I would be careful if one is using a non-vented drum, or any aux fuel tank, that will always be plumbed in (drum adapter w/aux hose connected) and not allowing it to vent due to natural thermal expansion/contraction. I used a desiccant type vent filter on my 50 Gal fuel tank installation to remove moisture from air and also treat with BioBore. Picture of installed desiccant filter is in the highlighted link in post #1, picture #2

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as an FYI... I've heard about situations where people plumbed-in aux fuel sources and closed off a normally vented tank to prevent air exchange, and it got hot and expanded enough to create enough tank pressure to get past the aux fuel pump ck valve. It then over filled the day tank creating a messy pool of diesel around genset.

Thus, I would be careful if one is using a non-vented drum, or any aux fuel tank, that will always be plumbed in (drum adapter w/aux hose connected) and not allowing it to vent due to natural thermal expansion/contraction. I used a desiccant type vent filter on my 50 Gal fuel tank installation to remove moisture from air and also treat with BioBore. Picture of installed desiccant filter is in the highlighted link in post #1, picture #2
Got any vendor info on the vent filter? Im considering updating my 55g drums to something with that. USLD even nuked from orbit with 4x the rated stability and biocides isn't keeping it super fresh.

Chainbreaker

Got any vendor info on the vent filter? Im considering updating my 55g drums to something with that. USLD even nuked from orbit with 4x the rated stability and biocides isn't keeping it super fresh.
I'll have to look in my pile of receipts to see if I can find the original source of where I purchased it. It was either eBay or Amazon. A quick look using "desiccant filter cartridge" on both show that Amazon has a some. They have gone up in price since I last purchased a few.

You could buy the ready made cartridge or as an alternative come up with a DIY version that's refillable. That way you could buy a jug of the beads much cheaper and change out the media in the cartridge as required. Maybe build a cartridge body out of PVC pipe & fittings with some coffee filters & wire screen on each end to contain the beads & filter out any airborne dust/particulates. Best design would be to use a screw off transparent type of housing with a cap on one end that can be unscrewed. That way when media turns dark you know its time to change the media. .

Also, I've heard of people removing media & heating up beads in baking dish/pan in oven to rejuvenate them for reuse.

Chainbreaker

Google "Trico 39134" its the Watchdog model that I have installed on my aux tank shown in the picture.

Here it is as sold by Walmart through Toro. This listing shows all the pertinent size & spec's.

Personally, I think its overpriced considering its a throw away item (non-refillable). I'd be surprised if it has more than 8 oz of beads in it. You can buy the beads in bulk for ~$6.20/lb

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I'll have to look in my pile of receipts to see if I can find the original source of where I purchased it. It was either eBay or Amazon. A quick look using "desiccant filter cartridge" on both show that Amazon has a some. They have gone up in price since I last purchased a few.

You could buy the ready made cartridge or as an alternative come up with a DIY version that's refillable. That way you could buy a jug of the beads much cheaper and change out the media in the cartridge as required. Maybe build a cartridge body out of PVC pipe & fittings with some coffee filters & wire screen on each end to contain the beads & filter out any airborne dust/particulates. Best design would be to use a screw off transparent type of housing with a cap on one end that can be unscrewed. That way when media turns dark you know its time to change the media. .

Also, I've heard of people removing media & heating up beads in baking dish/pan in oven to rejuvenate them for reuse.
When I was in Hawk ADA, we had reusable desiccant filters in all the radars and launchers. Most had at least 3-4 containers. Containers were Hard plastic, so you could see the media. And yes, in the early 70's when we could not get new media, we heated the damp media, and reused it. Worked like a charm. Later I did the same thing in Patriot. We had problems with relay boxes getting damp, and then the relays would stick. Desiccant fixed the problem and we just reheated it to use it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks