• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it home in M934, Ft Riley to Keller, TX!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep it is the first exit on I 135 south of I 70 on State St. They have a contract with GP and have been scrapping 100's of M939 trucks.

AZK9

Yep it is the first exit on I 135 south of I 70 on State St. They have a contract with GP and have been scrapping 100's of M939 trucks.
Cool! I had not realized that! Thanks for the information. When I make my 'deuce trip', west to AZ... I'll keep that in mind.
Always good to know places to find MV parts along the way! [thumbzup]

tjwareusmc

Yes I just left Glen's with a new air tank and quite a few other odds and ends. It was miraculous that I made it to Salina like that. The entire welded connector quickly came off the end of the tank where the leak was initially coming from a busted weld around the connector.

I played McGuyver and finally found a piece of inner tube on the side of the freeway and sandwiched it in between the end of the tank and a piece of one of my 2X6s that I cut with my battery powered circular saw. This time I used the heavy duty yellow strap and it held the air in!

i got back on the road and watched the air keep climbing and climbing!! Oh no, I've bypassed the part of the system that releases the pressure. I shut her down as she hit 140psi the it dawned on me to feather the spring brake override knob to release the extra air. My sidekick (8 year old daughter) manned the air knob and kept it in between 90-120 all the way to Glen's place.

I dug therough plenty tangles truck chassis' and finally found a tank that wasn't busted. I'll be putting it on in the Econolodge parking lot tonight and hoping to hit the road again in the morning.

And be no it doesn't have the Ctis, but it feels like it's out of balance. Must be a flat spot I guess.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is most certainly flat spots on Riley trucks. The vehicles on the lot are a mix of mid 2000s turn-in, refits, and unissued trucks that haven't been moved since parked. I had an M923A2 that was a FMS freeze, just overhauled in 09 too, and it galloped like a horse on the freeway due to flat spots. :p

AZK9

Yes I just left Glen's with a new air tank and quite a few other odds and ends. ... Must be a flat spot I guess.
Were you able to find any good extra spare tires/wheels at Glen's place?
Are you driving all the way to Keller, TX with the 'bad', flat-spot tires?

How many good spares do you have with the MV?
Can never have too many spares on a trip like that.

tjwareusmc

I have 10 11.00R20s at home so I couldn't bring myself to buy any more even though I could use them on the drive. I'm planning to put the M934 on 395/86R20s once so get her home. I did get some 14.00R20s while I was there though for my other truck. I'm going to try to live with the vibration and make it back to Keller tomorrow.

AZK9

Just take it nice-N-easy on the drive south to Keller.
Wishing you the best on the remainder of your adventure! [thumbzup]

Be sure to let us know when you complete your journey and arrive at your home base! :-D

AZK9

... found a tank that wasn't busted. I'll be putting it on in the Econolodge parking lot tonight and hoping to hit the road again in the morning. ...
Wondering how the install went and... if you and your 'team' are back on the road again.

Hope things are now going smoothly as you head south! [thumbzup] Keep us posted as you can!

AZK9

How has your day been? Have you completed your adventure?

Hope all is well and that you bring in the New Year with a new MV in the driveway! [thumbzup]

tjwareusmc

Just.Got.Home. Man, that was a long trip from Ft. Riley!!

The vibration just caused the truck to start falling apart. The air dryer bracket broke which caused me a couple of hours and several stops before I got her good and secure with a ratchet strap. Then the end broke off the new air tank same as the first!! It was heck to get the hole sealed well enough for the tank to hold more than 60 psi. This was just south of OKC so I was pretty worried that I would be spending New Years eve on the side of the road or at Motel 6. After a few hours and 15 different tries, I sandwiched a piece of tire tread and inner tube under a ratchet strap wrapped around the ends of the tank and it held well enough to get me home!

I was convinced that a tire was causing the crazy vibration but 10 miles from home it just went away. I expected to find a flat or something when I pulled in to the house but nope all tires are good. I have no earthly idea what was shaking the truck so badly for almost 500 miles but it drove as smooth as new the last 10 miles to my house....

I'm flat exhausted and dirty and am very very happy to finally be home. I will try to expand the box tomorrow, I'm excited to see how it works. Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement. Happy New Year from Texas!!!

AZK9

Sheeeeeeeesh!! What an adventure! Soooooooooo glad to hear that you are home safely and can celebrate
the arrival of 2016 with your family in Texas! HAPPY New Year! [thumbzup]

archmark

CONGRATS to your unnerving but safe trip home. Your daughter will have one heck of a story to tell about what she did over the "winter celebration". Be sure to let us know if you find out what was causing the vibrations and some pix of your new toy will be appreciated, especially with the box extended...

AZK9

Today, 00:00

Hey tjwareusmc...
Look at that time-stamp (above).
Ha ha! I hit it perfectly (NJ time) to wish you that Happy New Year!!!! :jumpin:

Time for you all to hit the sack!! ;-) G-Night.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is so weird that the boss broke of two tanks, makes me wonder if it had happened to others and they haven't said anything about it. 500 miles is a long trip in a MV that you know and have serviced, it's too bad that your "shake down cruse" had so much shaking going on.
Now all we need are some pictures. I can't think of a better way to start a new year than doing post trip maintenance on a 5T!
Glad you and the family made it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks