• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it home in M934, Ft Riley to Keller, TX!

tjwareusmc

image.jpgimage.jpgDespite the setbacks we enjoyed the trip. I'm glad we got home when we did though, by last night and the 20th roadside repair the fun was really starting to wear off.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the hanger bearing and rubber cushion plus ujoints of your driveshafts. Also the notorious forklift rash on driveshaft that could be bent. Also look at all pinion seals to see if any leak, that might be a symptom of the bad driveshaft/ujoint. Sounds like a driveline issue to me.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try putting her into 6x6 to see if the vibration went away? If it does it's the front drive shaft..likely the slip yoke. Common issue.

tjwareusmc

I didn't try it. I thought about it but I was afraid to break anything else! I'm going to look through the truck and try to figure out what was going on but if it was the main driveline it wouldn't have stopped vibrating. Bret is the front driveline not supposed to spin when disengaged? That could make sense if it was engaged and came disengaged toward the end of the trip. When I was stopped I did engage then disengage the front axle to try to make sure it was not locked in but I didn't really test it. The truck was most likely parked with the 6x6 engaged because the switch was on the "in" setting when I picked it up. Maybe it was stuck that way until I was almost home?

dmetalmiki

Fabulous looking truck. great acquisition, You will enjoy it to the full with your family converted to a (luxury!) camping machine. So glad for you in completing the "mission".

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, glad you made it. Now get the maintenance and operation manuals (TMs) for the M939 Series trucks, lot to learn.
The front drive line turns all the time the truck is rolling. The engagement occurs internally to the transfer case. Source a second set of front axle drive caps and machine the splines out of them, poor man's lockouts. Re-install the splined units when heading off road. Vibration may have been the carrier bearing assembly that supports the front drive shaft, they make a chain rattling sound when going out. Bent shaft is very possible.

tjwareusmc

Bent shaft would make sense to me except about 10 miles from home the vibration just went away and the truck drove as smooth as could be the rest of the way home. That part has me a little stumped. I downloaded all of the TMs to my iPad before I received my first truck recently but there is ALOT of information to go through there. I definitely have alot to learn and I really appreciate the input from you guys.

tjwareusmc

Fabulous looking truck. great acquisition, You will enjoy it to the full with your family converted to a (luxury!) camping machine. So glad for you in completing the "mission".
That is what we are considering. I have a new set of singles for the truck but I am a few wheels short. Cant wait to get them on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks