• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maiden voyage from Kansas to California in M934

Tom Thumb

I picked up my M934 a couple days ago in Kansas. I asked Valley Metals to help get it ready. They towed it out of Ft. Riley. Valley Metals is in Junction City (near Ft. Riley) and have a lot of experience with the M939 series trucks. They have several for sale and some extra parts. I asked to have all belts, hoses and liquids replaced. They also fixed several air and fuel leaks, changed out a corroded filter housing and on top of that gave me another hood to take home as well as a replacement solenoid box (not sure of name) but it's a black box with solenoids which they said go out fairly regularly.

The truck is running well. The oil pressure gauge went out and the drivers side wiper stopped working. It's not using any oil. Luckily there has been no rain or snow. The trip has been really great. Beautiful country especially when you don't have to worry about road conditions. The path I took is from Junction City Kansas to Oaklahoma City and stopped in Albquequee NM for the night. Next stint was to Flagstaff Arizona. I'm now in Laughlin where I'm taking a break before starting for home in Paso Robles, Ca. I keep it around 55-60 mph. Is there a governor on the throttle as it stops accelerating after 60 mph?

The only gripes I have is it is a real dog going up hills, starts the death shakes around 40 mph and it smokes pretty good at full throttle. I was really impressed by the comfort of the seat. I did buy a cushion and back lumbar support but the spring seat is a good shock absorber. I like the hand throttle when I'm cruising. The ABS light is on, I'm not sure if that means it's working or not.

I plan on converting it into an RV. The Goodyear tires are doing well. They're not even warm when I stop. I do have to squirt some starting fluid in the intake to get it started in the freezing mornings. The air dryer and breaks work well. It brakes are pretty sensitive, it doesn't take much foot pressure to get them to engage. The brakes do vibrate a bit, but not bad. So, all in all I'm very happy with this truck. For $2000 plus $2500 for parts and labor I can't complain.

FloridaAKM

Welcome to the Green Iron Disease form Florida, sounds like you had a very good recovery trip home. The 5 ton guys will be along to fill you in on the details that you want to know & congratulations on having murphy too busy to pay you a visit on your trip home!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a great trip. Just a reminder that while the hand throttle works as a great cruise control, it doesn't necessarily disengage (I know it doesn't on the HMMWVs and *assume* it doesn't on the 5Ts) when you hit the brakes. Otherwise sounds like you got a good truck and a little work when you get home. Have a safe rest of the trip. Hope CHP doesn't get up in ya at all.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to jump in with both feet - a 2000 mi trip! As to performance on hills, remember the box on the back adds ~8,000 lbs over the weight of a regular cargo truck.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a governor installed. It is not a vehicle speed governor, it is an rpm governor. Glad the trip is going good. Good luck and safe travels on the rest.

Kloakndagr

Hey welcome from Bradley. I'm at Lake Nacimiento, work the entry gate, stop by would love to chat. I'm retired so I only work (1) day a week and it's Saturday's. I just got mine converted to an RV, from DMV in paso. Nice to see a local guy.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom that sounds like a really great trip, the 939 series trucks are very nice to drive and very quiet and comfortable over long distance. My first recovery on these trucks was 600 miles and it was a pleasure all the way! Have lots of fun with your truck and as you have I am sure already noticed they are a real attention grabber!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks