• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Main power indicator

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
We just got a little snow here in the NW, and of course many of us lost power. Mine was out for a mere 3 hours today. I’m set up with an MEP-804A 10kw unit connected to my main panel with a 60 amp breaker and an interlock. It serves me well and I’m grateful to have it. It’s always interesting though when we have a power outage like today. Even though the main line power has been restored now for about an hour, you can still hear the generators running around the neighborhood when you step outside. I installed an LED above the main service panel to the house. It’s connected directly to the main lugs on the service panel. It tells me when the main line power has been restored, but I still have to poke my head into the garage every so often to check it! I was wondering what other clever ideas you all are using as indicators to tell you when your main line power has been restored?

Attachments

Scoobyshep

We just got a little snow here in the NW, and of course many of us lost power. Mine was out for a mere 3 hours today. I’m set up with an MEP-804A 10kw unit connected to my main panel with a 60 amp breaker and an interlock. It serves me well and I’m grateful to have it. It’s always interesting though when we have a power outage like today. Even though the main line power has been restored now for about an hour, you can still hear the generators running around the neighborhood when you step outside. I installed an LED above the main service panel to the house. It’s connected directly to the main lugs on the service panel. It tells me when the main line power has been restored, but I still have to poke my head into the garage every so often to check it! I was wondering what other clever ideas you all are using as indicators to tell you when your main line power has been restored?
heres an off the shelf item

otherwise, a relay on the generator input and one on the line side utility. wire through a normally open contact on both relays to a buzzer.

loosegravel

Ray70

After a power outage, when power is restored I rely on my neighbors lights as my indicator.... I sit inside, watching TV, drinking a cold beer, cooking, doing laundry ( ok, my wife does that stuff ) , going on with life as normal... occasionally looking out at the neighbors' dark houses.
When their lights come back on, power has been restored! rofl
Can't believe neither of my 2 closest neighbors have generators!

Scoobyshep

After a power outage, when power is restored I rely on my neighbors lights as my indicator.... I sit inside, watching TV, drinking a cold beer, cooking, doing laundry ( ok, my wife does that stuff ) , going on with life as normal... occasionally looking out at the neighbors' dark houses.
When their lights come back on, power has been restored! rofl
Can't believe neither of my 2 closest neighbors have generators!

Haha. My across the street neighbors are on a different circuit and they aren't shy about showing it. It's all fair though because when the whole neighborhood is out my house is lit up like a frigging Christmas tree.

loosegravel

A voltage sensing relay and some creative settings can get the job done. Mains are almost always 117-120V in my area. Set your gen to run 110-115V and use the voltage difference to trip the relay. You'll need a time delay relay to filter transients.
Well, that's my problem. I have to shut off the mainline power before I can turn on the 60 amp breaker for the generator. It's the interlock that I have. But...now that I'm thinking (it's scary sometimes I know!) you're right. The voltage is right there at the panel for both sources. Ok...the lights just came on! :LOL:

Chainbreaker

I use a PowerBack Alarm that I attached to my panel. It's definitely a screamer when power comes back on. Though if you have a large well insulated house you may not hear it very far away...

Solution: Put a baby monitor in garage to listen for when the PowerBack begins screaming in the garage or other distant panel locations.

Chainbreaker

Also, if you had a Wi-Fi signal that reaches out to your panel... perhaps you could even use one of the baby monitor/cameras that interfaces with your phone. That way if you have both a visual, the panel LED you installed plus an audible alert if using something like the PowerBack alarm, to monitor for utility power restoration.

Last edited:

loosegravel

I have a Powerback alarm, but now my power company sends me a text message when the power returns.
Thanks, a lot of good comments came out of this thread. I also get the messages from my power company when the main line power goes out and when it comes back. But they’re not instantaneous. Usually within an hour or so. It was fun to read all of the comments from other members here. The one about watching the neighbors lights while drinking a beer was good🤩 Although, the other day the power went out in daylight and also came back on in daylight. I went ahead and ordered the Briidea power return alert that Scoopyshep suggested. It seems like an easy install. Should be here Monday. I don’t spend the extra for “prime” but the packages still usually arrive in a few days. Thanks all!

Chainbreaker

I have a Powerback alarm, but now my power company sends me a text message when the power returns.
Unfortunately, our rural serving Utility Company does not offer such service so far. They only notify us of upcoming scheduled shutdowns.

However, I found a work around at least for notification of a Power Outage even if I'm away... I use a Cyber Power PFC1500 LCD battery backup/surge suppressor that provides enough power for about an hour, usually enough time to keep my PC & monitor powered up until I normally get my generator up & online. It will send out an email notification, which I can also receive on my phone, via a free software download when Utilty power drops & my PC is on battery backup. That's a very handy notification feature if I'm outside or off the property to know Utility power is off. It also has a feature to notify when "power is restored" but if I'm powered up via generator it can't tell I'm on Utility power.

Works both ways if I'm out & about that power has gone out and been quickly restored so I don't have to be concerned about rushing home to start generators.

Edit: Clarification of CyberPower notifications feature capabilities/limitations

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

Haha. My across the street neighbors are on a different circuit and they aren't shy about showing it. It's all fair though because when the whole neighborhood is out my house is lit up like a frigging Christmas tree.
Speaking of.... Power outage last night and the Christmas lights were an additional visual indicator that my generator was indeed working.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
At risk of seeming like a jerk... you should be checking up on the generator every few hours or so anyways, unless you're sleeping. If it runs an extra hour after grid power is restored, not a big deal. It just exercises the generator a bit. I hook mine up and let it run for 10-12 hours (overnight usually) at times just to do it.

Scoobyshep

At risk of seeming like a jerk... you should be checking up on the generator every few hours or so anyways, unless you're sleeping. If it runs an extra hour after grid power is restored, not a big deal. It just exercises the generator a bit. I hook mine up and let it run for 10-12 hours (overnight usually) at times just to do it.
No worries, My situation is quite unique, I abused my controls powers and completely automated my set.

Guyfang

Staff member
We did 6 hours checks. PMCS if we did not have to stop the sets. If we had to stop the set, then tough luck. Run em till they died. But at least every 6 hours we looked at them, from top to bottom, looking for problems. Tour of duty was 24 on, 24 off. 24 on, 24 off. Not that we ever got the whole 24 off, 😂

loosegravel

I ended up getting the “Briidea” unit that Scoobyshep suggested in post #2. I haven’t installed it yet. Still messing around with these (2) MEP-804A units that I picked up. Yes, it will be located above the main panel in the garage which is attached to the house. If I feel that it’s not loud enough, someone else here suggested a couple of baby monitors. I like that too😎

loosegravel

I ended up getting the “Briidea” unit that Scoobyshep suggested in post #2. I haven’t installed it yet. Still messing around with these (2) MEP-804A units that I picked up. Yes, it will be located above the main panel in the garage which is attached to the house. If I feel that it’s not loud enough, someone else here suggested a couple of baby monitors. I like that too😎
That was Chainbreaker in post #7 who suggested the baby monitor. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks