• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maine Military Vehicle Owners Alert

m38inmaine

Public hearing on March 21 1pm room 126 in the state house for repurposed MV. A Maine MV owner with a FMTV was ordered to return his plates by DMV, Maine is or is trying to sneak in laws that we need to fight, please pass the word, the more people there the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darylfraser

Do you have a link for the hearing? There are a handful of HMV owners that I am aware of on the mid coast. Hopefully we can escape the BS that others experience in their states.

Darylfraser

So what MV's other than jeeps and most trailers are under 10,000 lbs. This will crush everything over that. I live in the worst state (California) and hope this never gets passed
It’s a proposed bill that makes no sense. I will be calling the supporting senator tomorrow. I don’t understand the point. My 13,500 M35 will surely not fall under the 10,000 limit.

Darylfraser

I don't how they expect for owners of older MV's such as WWII etc to provide documentation of release from the gov't.
They do at least define “demilitarized” but it definitely is open to interpretation. If one owns a vehicle that has passed through several owners and is then asked to provide proof of legal separation from the military, they most likely will not be able to. It is then no longer deemed “demilitarized”. I don’t like any of this, Maine, as far as I know, has no stipulations on HMVs. I registered my M35A2 locally as an antique truck with the serial number and helped them enter a new manufacturer in the system. I went with AM General as I figured General Products Division would confuse everyone and that’s what was listed when it was released in the early 90s. I’ll be reaching out to the State Senator that sponsored the bill tomorrow.

m38inmaine

They do at least define “demilitarized” but it definitely is open to interpretation. If one owns a vehicle that has passed through several owners and is then asked to provide proof of legal separation from the military, they most likely will not be able to. It is then no longer deemed “demilitarized”. I don’t like any of this, Maine, as far as I know, has no stipulations on HMVs. I registered my M35A2 locally as an antique truck with the serial number and helped them enter a new manufacturer in the system. I went with AM General as I figured General Products Division would confuse everyone and that’s what was listed when it was released in the early 90s. I’ll be reaching out to the State Senator that sponsored the bill tomorrow.
I don't understand the purpose of it either, it almost looks like it's trying to help get MV's on the road but it's so flawed it hurts more than it helps. I am 3 hours away from Augusta but I am going to attend, I'm told by a friend that you should plan on arriving at least an hour early as you have to jump through a lot of hoops just to be able to get in to the hearing.

Darylfraser

I don't understand the purpose of it either, it almost looks like it's trying to help get MV's on the road but it's so flawed it hurts more than it helps. I am 3 hours away from Augusta but I am going to attend, I'm told by a friend that you should plan on arriving at least an hour early as you have to jump through a lot of hoops just to be able to get in to the hearing.
Agreed. It initially appears as it is helping but the language doesn’t make sense. I’m only 45 minutes from Augusta sonI am trying to make my schedule work to attend. I’m going to email Senator Libby today as well. Thank you for bringing this to everyone’s attention.

Darylfraser

Ok. So I had a great conversation with one of the supporters of this bill. There is significant support behind this to counter the state of Maine from prohibiting the registration and use of military vehicles. I received emails today from the supporting Senator and documents from the supporters. Currently the state of Maine is using EPA and safety standards to prohibit the operation of said vehicles. The group involved with this bill is fighting back. I feel much better after learning this. I still have some questions but I am now in the loop!

m38inmaine

Ok. So I had a great conversation with one of the supporters of this bill. There is significant support behind this to counter the state of Maine from prohibiting the registration and use of military vehicles. I received emails today from the supporting Senator and documents from the supporters. Currently the state of Maine is using EPA and safety standards to prohibit the operation of said vehicles. The group involved with this bill is fighting back. I feel much better after learning this. I still have some questions but I am now in the loop!
Did they agree that there is language in this bill that does not help ? Thank you for checking into this further, I searched and could not find any Maine law that prohibits registering MV's. Another point I thought of is that there are hundreds of cargo trucks registered by fire departments and Forestry, what about them ? are they exempt ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks