• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintenance Bed on a M116?

muddog

Me and a friend thought about it but haven't gotten around to it. We were going to use a M200 trailer I have, but work is slow right now so we put that project on hold for now.
Harold

Wolf.Dose

Beeing far from stock material, the US Army did many of these modifications in Europe. They matched almost anything to their special unit needs and did not care for the official requirements or the manuales as far as the late 60's and the 70's are concerned.
Wolf

Wolf.Dose

The M116 are rated 3/4 ton, but technicaly for road use 1.5 ton shoud not really be an isssue, or the other way round, gross weigth up to 2200 lbs if equipped with overrun braking device.
Wolf

LanceRobson

I appreciate that thet standard M116 is considered a 3/4 ton trailer. However, a large number were given uprated suspensions and the model designation remained the same. All they got was an additional data plate on the forward frame. I can't remember what the "new" capacity was.

I don't think you would have much luck claiming the old "twice the rated weight" stuff to a cop since the DOD officially ended that policy about 25 years ago.

If you hit a scale over the data plate or registraion weight you would have issues. Also, if the trailer were involved in an accident any ambulance chaser worth his salt would be all over the overweight issue like a bad rash.

Lance

EDIT I think a bare m116 chassis weighs in somewhere between 800 and 900 pounds. I'd guess the truck bed is pushing 1,000 pounds even if the generator/welder and air compressor are out of it. That doesn't leave much weight for tools and parts.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

According to manual TM 9-2330-202-14&P, issue August 1983 there is no upgraded suspension.
The A2 has the overrun braking device, where the overrun head has stamped in the side with the manufacturers marking, that the breake head is good for 6000 lbs, considering the trailer chassis is made for this.
The manual states only the curb weight for the M101 A2 with 1340 lbs / 608.4 kg with cargo box only. The M116 flat bed is about 100 lbs less without bows and trapaulin, the naked chassis even less, even the manual does not say so. Gross weight is rated 3590 lbs on hightway for both A2 versions.
My statement was based not on military issues of off road driving, the 4400 lbs GVW (2200 lbs was due a mistake in calculating kg to lbs, I' only a German) were based on the basic design and the load capacity of the axle / rims / wheels. What your authorities do with that is bejond my influence.
Wolf

Nonotagain

According to manual TM 9-2330-202-14&P, issue August 1983 there is no upgraded suspension.
The A2 has the overrun braking device, where the overrun head has stamped in the side with the manufacturers marking, that the breake head is good for 6000 lbs, considering the trailer chassis is made for this.
The manual states only the curb weight for the M101 A2 with 1340 lbs / 608.4 kg with cargo box only. The M116 flat bed is about 100 lbs less without bows and trapaulin, the naked chassis even less, even the manual does not say so. Gross weight is rated 3590 lbs on hightway for both A2 versions.
My statement was based not on military issues of off road driving, the 4400 lbs GVW (2200 lbs was due a mistake in calculating kg to lbs, I' only a German) were based on the basic design and the load capacity of the axle / rims / wheels. What your authorities do with that is bejond my influence.
Wolf
The M116A3 is rated as a one ton chasis not a 3/4 ton.

The A3 uses a new axle with raised center, is wider than a A2 axle, and uses the same tire/wheel as the Humvee.

Attachments

Green_gator

If you are pulling with a deuce of greater I would use the 103 trailer chassis. If you are pulling with something smaller then the 116 should work well. This is a Maintenance box from a HMMWV that I have on a flat deck generator trailer. It is just on there for now and moving it to an M353 trailer shortly so that it is lower to the ground and has an additional 17" of length between the box and deuce.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer started life as an M116A3 rated at one ton. On mine I took the A3 axle out and installed an A2 axle. Same hub, spindle bearings and all that, just narrower and straight. The A3 frame is an inch taller than the A2 giving it the rated capacity. I would guess my SECM body weighs in at around 600# empty. The generator/welder easily doubles the weight and its all on the nose. The crank up front gear lifts it fine but it's gotta go. I think a Miller Trailblazer would be a much more useful unit. You might need to watch your gear with the welder in place but without it, should be OK.

oddave715

I looked at a M116A2 today that had a generator on the front and steam/pressure washer on the back. It said on the data plate that it had upgraded springs. Plus the frame had all kinds of reinforcement. But it was still a 3/4 ton. I will take pics next time I am over there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks