• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maintenance on wiper motor and linkage.

Hi guys, today was the first time, unbelievably, I have driven the m1097a2 in persistent rain. The wipers worked fine most of the time but would occasionally hesitate mid sweep for a second or 2. Is there any maintenance that should be carried out on the linkage? I can find anything in the various TMs I have, but thinking does the linkage grease dry out and need fresh grease? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grease as you will. but i think your problem is in the connectors between windshield frame and fuselage... COnnectors are contact style and get some corrosion and laxity in them.. Often washers are put between the three contacts to stabilize power to wipers .. My 2 cents !!!! Youll need to swing windshield down and check connectors in the middle,,,

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd probably stay away from grease or similar oils for lubricating the linkage. It has hard plastic bushings in it that are more than smooth enough under normal conditions. Grease will act like a magnet and attract every bit of dust and grit to it, causing accelerated wear.
If you use any type of lubricant, a plastic safe dry lubricant like PTFE would probably be best.

If it's stopping partway through a sweep, it's more likely to be electrical than mechanical. Could be the contacts under the windshield, could be a bad connection at the wire plug at the motor, it could be a failing motor.
The reason I say more likely to be mechanical is if it was mechanical binding or whatnot it wouldn't just hesitate, it would jump ahead afterwards when the force overcame whatever type of binding. Also a mechanical issue will more likely show up at either end of the travel when things are changing direction, rather than the middle when it's under constant force and any slack has already been taken out of the linkage.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a source for a complete kit of the plastic bushings, preferably without the HMMWV tax? I found a partial kit when I serviced the wiper motor, but there are others that seem to be unobtainable.

Thanks guys, I will check out the connector at the windshield. I have changed the switch as it didn't work at all when I got the truck. Might wait a while as I have the wading kit so a bit more involved to drop the screen. Thanks again.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I will check out the connector at the windshield. I have changed the switch as it didn't work at all when I got the truck. Might wait a while as I have the wading kit so a bit more involved to drop the screen. Thanks again.
For sure should be the connections under the A frame. Mine was not working when i got it and there was a lot of corrosion there. Now, after a year and a half it hesitates some times when is raining really bad ( to the point that starts bubbling inside through the windshield gasket) or when i hit a pothole. If i slow down and/or turn the wipers off and on again then starts working.
I have read some people hard wire this section, i would be against it to be honest.

vmax

I forever solved my wiper motor power problems by taking out those pin connectors and replacing it with a 4 man harness that makes plug in connections between the body and wiper motor.
I can still lower the windshield if needed but those pins and that sometimes finicky connection is not eliminated.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I forever solved my wiper motor power problems by taking out those pin connectors and replacing it with a 4 man harness that makes plug in connections between the body and wiper motor.
I can still lower the windshield if needed but those pins and that sometimes finicky connection is not eliminated.
Splice one of these in and get back to swish swish swish, CAMO

wires.jpg AND some of these butt splice.jpg CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks