• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major electrical problem

mdes0

Hey guys, hoping someone can lend me a hand. Have a 91 m998 that had been running great. The last time I drove it I noticed that it smelled like burnt brakes or clutch, thought I might have a dragging caliper. A week later I went to move it into my garage to check the brakes and found that the batteries were dead. First battery in series was so low the charger wouldnt charge it. Anyway, got the batteries squared away and when I installed them I heard a very loud pop from the drivers side and quickly pulled the battery cable.
When I went to the drivers side it looked like the starter box was smoking and I could hear sizzling... I had read somewhere that there were breakers behind the gauge cluster but I don't see any. So far I haven't found any fried or melted wires so I have no idea what the **** happened.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there fuses or breakers somewhere?

Thanks,
Matt

Action

there are 2 circuit breakers behind the dash on the right side of the steering column housing. you can probably reach up under the dash and find them or just look up there. they are round and each have 2 wres pushed into them. they are roughly 1 1/2" wide and 1" thick.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no reset.....check them with an Ohm meter.
If good, they will read through.
Sounds like you need a new box.

mdes0

So I pulled the control box and it looks like it dam near caught on fire inside. Can those with more experience with these tell me if they think the solenoid shorted and fried everything else or do you think I have another problem that caused the box to fry? About a week before I started having issues the brake light would not go out even when the e-brake was released, fluid levels were fine as were the connections on the master cylinder. Hadn't figured that one out yet. Now wondering if its related some how.
20161211_124023.jpg20161217_160040.jpg20161217_160032.jpg
Thanks,
Matt

mdes0

Anyone have an opinion on the cause or has anyone seen this type of damage before? Will be replacing the old box with a new S3 and will be adding a grounding harness as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks